Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Using the new polynucs

Blog Entries

Hi D

Yes, they are top bee space and as far as I recall with a sufficiently generous top space to allow a runner and a still a bee space above the frames. I should have access to some this afternoon and if I remember I'll measure the space. I can visualise the Correx divider working as you suggest. In that case I would leave a break in the frame runners to make shaping a bee-tight divider easier. It would need to protrude sufficiently above the top bars to meet the roof, and have extensions that sit on the shelf where the frame lugs sit. One other complication is that there is a mesh floor. This is a cut-out piece in the polystyrene and mesh is affixed to the underside. So the Correx would have to be shaped to match the cut-out in the floor too. I can see lots of cardboard attempts before you have a good template for the Correx but it should be possible.

We have 15 to play with and 20 Apideas thanks to Awards for All but if I was paying for them myself I might be tempted to try as you suggest. The one problem might be cutting off the access to the feeder. A frame feeder in a 3-frame nuc isn't really on so you'd be reduced to thin pancakes of fondant for top-up winter feeding.

G.

Here are two boxes, one just acting as a hive stand to support the box into which a swarm was knocked (not our swarm we think!). The entrance is a small slit inside that cut-out.

Hi all,I've just hived two neucs from these boxes.One was fine and just emptied the feeder full of ambrosia so was easy to get all the bees out.The other had built brace comb at right angles to the normal frame run,i.e. across the feeder.Not easy to remove the bee from inside the feeder.Fortunately the queen was in amongst the frames and had not gone into the wild comb.It's VERY important to fit a piece of Q.excluder across the slots to each side of the feeder wall to stop her maj going awol.Getting her out of such a confined space would not be easy without causing her injury.

I have six of these but I wouldn't buy any more. They are not designed by an experienced bee keeper. If you put a swarm in one you need to fit a block of foam to keep them out of the feeder slot, the thick inner wall to the feeder slot gets bees squashed, the entrance is too small the list goes on. The manufacturer should have road tested the design before going into production. The ONLY good thing about them is the price £23.50 If you have a look at http://www.wealdplacefarmbees.co.uk/hives.php you can get some more info.

Blog Entries

Murray McGregor says that he will have one in production later in the year and that the cost will be below this.

A word of warning: Wealdplace Farm has been getting slated on another forum. He sounds most unreliable. I bought ours from Paynes and their customer service was good. The box is branded by them and I hear that Wealdplace now markers the Paynes ones.

OK, there is a crushing risk but it isn't that much worse than other polyhives which all have thick walls.

D, the bee space where the frame lugs sit is the thickness of two top bars. Plenty of room for runners, a frame top bar, and a bee space.

Gavin

Thanks Gavin ... I've ordered some. From Paynes - I'd seen the correspondence about other suppliers.
    Photographs of modified mating nuc to follow, but thus might be a winter project as this years queens are about ready to come out of the Kielers.
    Cheers all,
    D.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GRIZZLY View Post
    It's VERY important to fit a piece of Q.excluder across the slots to each side of the feeder wall to stop her maj going awol. Getting her out of such a confined space would not be easy without causing her injury.
    Hi John

I think that you need to put a small piece of the thin slotted zinc type of excluder vertically in the thin slot in the depression between the feeder and the main box. One across the top isn't going to work as the top is closed off by the roof which sits directly on the walls and the division wall for the feeder. The only way through for bees is via that depression.

If I understood you correctly.

Gavin

Apparently Roger Payne (of Paynes, suppliers) has 60 of these in use so I guess he is the current expert on the pros and cons. I know he is watching this discussion but whether he will be willing to share the cons as he experiences them ... ??

Kate
    Last edited by Kate Atchley; 13-06-2011 at 11:37 AM.

Exactly what I said Gavin-Drop the Q excluder into the slots either side of the access slot leading into the feeder.
    Quote Originally Posted by gavin View Post
    Hi John

I think that you need to put a small piece of the thin slotted zinc type of excluder vertically in the thin slot in the depression between the feeder and the main box. One across the top isn't going to work as the top is closed off by the roof which sits directly on the walls and the division wall for the feeder. The only way through for bees is via that depression.

If I understood you correctly.

Gavin

Thumbs up

First impressions ... delivery from Paynes was very quick indeed. Ordered late Sunday and arrived late this morning (Tuesday). Reasonably well packed, with the odd surface blemish, but nothing to spoil function or that won't be covered in paint in due course. Internal width is 22.4cm, so enough room for a thin divider with 3 frames each side if anyone is thinking of converting them to a double three frame mating nuc. Although Gavin is correct about the mesh floor, the rebate is square-cut so I think it would be pretty easy to profile a Correx divider ... perhaps the best way would be to use one of those profile shapes to fit lino around skirting board edges. The entrance is central, recessed and a bit narrow for my liking. The photo above by Gavin shows an arrow pointing to the hole. However, filling it in would be easy, and the polystyrene is sufficiently dense it should drill easily to add two new entrances at opposite 'corners'. The rebate for the frame lug is 1.7cm below the top edge, so frame runners are possible at the expense of the top bee space. However, there is ample space below the frames, so all should be OK.

Poly density is reported as 100g/l. For comparison, it gave the impression of being a little less dense than a Kieler mating hive or a Denrosa/Sweinty polyhive.

D.

I bought a couple from Paynes and their service was good. I too was not impressed by the lack of runners so there is a lot of propolis space. You can't put the top on without crushing bees. The top does tend to get stuck down with propolis and you can't ease it off well. >>PING<< I personally don't like the entrance (not straightforward to close up for travelling or wasp attack) and the polystyrene does seem quite lightweight - none too strong. It may be lighter than wood but then you don't need a brick with a wooden hive. You can't feed without disturbing the colony too. A crown board would be beneficial. With the two I have I have not noticed any faster build-up compared to 5-frame wooden ones. I have some 8-frame nucs and Nationals so I can jump from 5 to 8 frames - don't need the 6 frame poly.

In summary: These prototypes are OK but I prefer my plywood and timber boxes.