Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Orkney Nucs

Default Orkney Nucs

Looking for a nuc in Orkney. Anyone know of any available?

-N

Blog Entries

Do you know Doris Fischler, keeps bees near Stromness. You could try her.

Blog Entries

Try a Private Message to Doris (Stromnessbees) or Lindsay (lindsay s) (he's a he to save any doubt!) on this site and the software will send them an email. They are part of the beekeeping group on Orkney who will do their very best to congratulate you staying local (Orkney is currently Varroa-free) and try to get you a colony somehow.

best wishes

Gavin

Orkney (it’s usually cool and windy but somehow the bees survive!)

Hello Northerner
    The chances of acquiring local bees in Orkney at the moment are pretty slim. I was at our AGM last Tuesday night and the shortage of local bees and varroa dominated the meeting. There’s a lot of people wanting to start/restart beekeeping and not enough bees to go around. More than half of Orkneys beekeepers have 1- 3 colonies and if they lose their bees it just adds to the problem. Something that is badly lacking up here at the moment are beekeepers with the time, experience and equipment to split hives and make nucs. Doris is trying her best to increase cooperation among Orkneys beekeepers and boost colony numbers. There will also be some training days for beginners once the weather gets better, check our website for details.
    Lindsay
    http://www.sbai.org.uk/sbai_forum/fo...rs-Association
    Last edited by lindsay s; 29-05-2011 at 09:59 PM.

Blog Entries

Lindsay, could you put a link to the Orkney website in this thread, please, to make it easy to find. Northener, I think you may need to be patient for a while as the dreadful weather will not be helping folk trying to raise nucs. I'm further south than you but this is the worst May I've known and I've just put 2 litre feeds on all my colonies! Haven't been able to inspect them for a fortnight but could tell from outside they were struggling. I suppose there's one good thing in all of this; the local acclimatised bees will survive much better than imports used to less windy/wet areas so folk will learn that exotic imports are a waste of money!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Trog View Post
    folk will learn that exotic imports are a waste of money!
    Well said. I know people who have lost nucs and even full colonies in the last week.
    Mine are getting low on stores but have not needed any feed yet.
    Most had a reasonable surplus at the end of April but that has all but gone now.
    Native bees are well used to foraging at low temperatures and will venture out in a light mizzle.

The weather looks to be better toward the end of this week.
    It would need to pick up. I have 11 unmated virgins in apideas and have another 4 to set out this week.

Blog Entries

My native types (must get their wings checked one of these days!) are out in most weather, including gales, but I suspect the forage is poor quality and some just too soggy to work at all. Drone brood being chucked out last week was a warning to me to get some feed on, and they've been very grateful for it!

Blog Entries

If you want wings checked just send me a sample. PM me for my address. It's in the bibba handbook if you are a member.

Blog Entries

Can it be done with drones? I just don't fancy killing 30 workers from each hive (old softie, me!). Or maybe I can wait until dead winter bees get chucked out on a fine day mid-winter.

Blog Entries

I think that I may still have some winter floor samples from Trog somewhere which I never got around to checking. Did the diseases checks though.

Morphometry is much better done on young bees as they will have not drifted. The Germans (you know what they are like for pedantry .. or caution .... ) grab freshly emerged workers with forceps.