Thread: Beehaus hives

Question Beehaus hives

Has anyone used the Beehaus plastic hive sold by Omlet. What's your experience of it?

It is lighter than most, so how will it fare on a windy site compared with a wooden hive?

Any information will be helpful. Thanks

Kate

Blog Entries

Get the sandbags ready, incoming!

Blog Entries

Hi,
    seen them, and the prices! I really wouldnt bother.
    Use wooden boxes - they are far easier to clean (flame them out), and cheaper, and very light.
    I think the most important choice is the frame size - an that should be what ever is in most common use where you are - that way you can easily transfer bought nucs directly into your gear, or loan someone a frame of food/pollen/open brood or get a loan there of.
    I suspect whatever you get you will want to put a sturdy brick on top of it!

There were design problems with them - so beware of second-hand models - but I think the problems have been fixed. I am yet to be convinced by the advantage of having - in essence - one hive fixed to the side of the other. I do find that I have to move hives around the apiary - artificial swarms, combining etc, and a twin hive would make this awkward just as a Dartington would, on which the beehaus is modelled.
    I also assume that the coloured plastic will fade and look rubbish after a while too. Will it also become brittle too?

Blog Entries

Mice love plastic!

All good ... thanks. Will surely deter the friend who was thinking of buying one. Certainly I wouldn't want to invest in all that plastic. Call me old fashioned ... ?!

Hi Kate,
    I use cedar nationals but am very intersted in the beehaus. I have recently written a review of the beehaus. I suspect I will get one at some point. The polystyrene hives look interesting too.
    Roger

Reading Beecraft today a couple of contributors links were mentioned
    Here's one http://www.girlmeetsbee.blogspot.co.uk
    The Blogger Tanya Weaver uses a Beehaus and has an interesting and well written Blog