Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Top bar hive seduction!

Blog Entries

What on earth do mythical ley lines have to do with keeping bees? Or are those antennae on their heads really dowsing rods?

Blog Entries

They're all the rage in the senior echelons of the the BBKA apparently.

Blog Entries

Oh, well, that explains everything, Gavin ;D

Roger Patterson is behind quite a bit of the ley-line interest in the BBKA having been convinced of their existence by John Harding.

Roger visited me last summer and tested my apiary and later some interesting stones I found buried under peat. He found what he thought were ley lines criss-crossing my ground and correctly told me where he thought swarms might settle. He later checked out my stones and declared that they were an ancient grave of a man between 20 and 25 years old who died between AD 900 and 950. I was later visited by an expert from our county archaeologists department based at Bangor who poked about with a trowel for a while and told me there were 3 bodies under the stones which were typical of Christian burials of about AD900.

I have a scientific bent and still hence find ley line existence hard to accept but Roger has done enough to prevent me from dismissing it out of hand.

Rosie
    Last edited by Rosie; 07-08-2011 at 10:53 PM.

Blog Entries

Aye, but if Roger were a true oracle he would get that dysfunctional forum software on the bbka site fixed properly instead of faffing around with dowsing rods!!
    Last edited by Jon; 07-08-2011 at 11:15 PM.

Dowsing is back on the agenda in place of morphetometry at my place
    Along with Homeopathy and Phrenology I recon any bee can be classified quickly and easily into either indigenous or imported AMM

"A Wrackspurt - they're invisible, they float in through your ears and make your brain go fuzzy," she said. "I thought I felt one zooming around in here.luana.jpeg

Good old Luana the best SBA president we never had
    She will be missed
    Last edited by The Drone Ranger; 08-08-2011 at 09:50 AM.

Blog Entries

Apprently the Tories suggest that Homeopathy funding should be reduced to 0.000000000000000000000000000001p per year on the basis that it'd be far more effective than giving them £10,000,000

I'll get my coat.

Quote Originally Posted by Nellie View Post
    Apprently the Tories suggest that Homeopathy funding should be reduced to 0.000000000000000000000000000001p per year on the basis that it'd be far more effective than giving them £10,000,000

I'll get my coat.
    Outrageous --I think the health service should be abandoned in favour of slightly flavoured water -- think of the savings

Blog Entries

Just perusing here again, jokes about water botherers not withstanding did any of the people who said they were going to try out Top Bar Hives give them a go and how did they get on?

Blog Entries

Helping a starter here who made the mistake of topbar get something better.
    Like my mentor said going to topbar hives is just ignoring all the advances in beekeeping since the introduction of the moveable frame (1768-70).
    The newbie experience: Waste of honey (poor yield from pressing) and wax (destructive honey extraction), difficult to see if they are planning to swarm (unless you are experienced enough to tell from looking at whats going on in the entrance), bitter honey (when brooded honeycomb pressed) and higher possibility of pressing honey comb with brood still in it (doesnt happen when you uncap). For varroa treatment (removal of drone comb), and most other common manipulations (shook swarm, brood starter, rightsizing hive to colony size) a great step backwards.
    Good business for beekeeper suppliers, they get to sell beginners a topbar in the first year, then get to sell them what they actually need a year or two later.

They are cheaper, but candles are cheaper than energy efficient lightbulbs too...
    Last edited by Calum; 29-01-2012 at 03:09 PM.