Thread: Teaching support

Question Teaching support

Anyone know of good photos or video clips to support teaching about:
    • EFB
    • AFB
    • mice, woodpecker, pinemarten, mink attack
    • damage from livestock/deer

Been making extensive use of YouTube downloads for other aspects of beekeeping - keeps everyone engaged to run a video fairly often - but there's little there on diseases and other pests/problems for bees.

Kate

Try Vita Europe; they manufacture Apiguard. They have a photo gallery and you can download free. Best to log on but you do not pay.
    Alvearium

Blog Entries

I'll second that. I did a bee talk earlier today and I used quite a few images from the Vita site.

http://www.vita-europe.com/en/photog...lleryindex.php

Hi Alvearium and Jon

Vita's a good source of pics, many thanks. Amazing how the buzz goes round: had an email directly from Steve Sutherland (lead bee inspector) suggested I used downloaded pics from the Beebase image gallery:
    https://secure.fera.defra.gov.uk/bee...lery/index.cfm.
    I hadn't realised that gave open access (have to register first). It has a good range of pics, especially for Varroa, EFB and AFB.

Blog Entries

Steve! Still lurking?

Kate, I've put a PPT here which has many of the photos I used in the foulbrood presentations in the last couple of years. I also used images from the BeeBase Foulbrood leaflet and a lab photo of EFB from SASA.

It is a big file at 13.5Mb but I've left it that size so that you can resize and crop some of the images if you wish. They are all mine except the last two and I'm happy for anyone to use them for talks.

All real, tangible bee problems rather than this fantasy stuff some people are preoccupied with and confusing people with these days.

Gavin
    Last edited by gavin; 22-03-2011 at 10:16 AM. Reason: changed a 't' to an 'n'.

Fantastic Gavin ... very many thanks. I will use most of these slides this evening for a group in Strontian.

Wow! this site and the generosity of folk gives us full potential to up our game. Will encourage all the beginners to use it from day 1. Again ... all thanks to Gavin!

Blog Entries

Thanks Kate.

In Lochaber the only real risk for EFB would be people moving colonies in from an EFB area. AFB is different and could crop up anywhere as it is a long-established and persistent disease.