Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Bee genetics again

Blog Entries

I think that I set the editing period to zero which means that you can go back and edit whenever you like? Let me know if not.

Blog Entries

Nope, but might be a Tapatalk issue maybe.

It was more the close association of Pains and Americans ,.....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gavin View Post
    9/10

It would have been 10/10 but you don't capitalise the Larvae.

Two words in the name exactly the same?! Couldn't be easier!
    I'll have me point back for you not spotting the spelling was wrong

It's got to the stage where I dreamt I was back at school learning Latin (which I never did) the other night.

Spent yesterday raging that I couldn't retain small hive beetle and tropilaelaps. Woke up thus morning and muttered aethina tumida and t.clareae t.koenigurum so maybe all isn't lost after all. Now I'm going to make sure I spelled them right.

Blog Entries

Almost. It's Tropilaelaps koenigErum

So only the first word is capitalised, kicking myself for not spotting that before!

Picus viridis, micus domesticus are the two less helpful names I can remember. Chalkbrood might be more useful to know but hey ho, 24 hours time I'll have finished it and have a couple of months to stew on whether I scraped a pass or not.

Hi All
    That link was a thing of beauty Jon! If you follow the logic objectively you will see that the inbreeding scenario postulated earlier – where the totally isolated apiary of 10 unrelated colonies loses 50% of the colonies over the winter without any breeding have taken place; thus the 5 surviving colonies supply the 10 queens for the next generation, which at best would result in 5 pairs of related queens. Despite the variety of alleles in the spermathecas of the 5 surviving mother queens, which in the hypothetical postulation will be culled in each subsequent late summer; each queen of the next generation of new queens will be produced from only one drone allele. The next generation of drones will result from the 5 surviving mother queens, which will even be more closely related. Thus reducing the unrelated alleles available quite dramatically. As I postulated in the first instance critical inbreeding mass is achieved quite quickly.
    Just eat the bowls of fruit, Gavin!
    Eric

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gavin View Post
    Where has the contrary one gone anyway? Away to recharge his batteries for the next bout?

G.
    Speak and he shall come

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Eric McArthur View Post
    Hi All
    That link was a thing of beauty Jon!
    The next generation of drones will result from the 5 surviving mother queens, which will even be more closely related. Thus reducing the unrelated alleles available quite dramatically.
    Fruit for Gavin but the alphabet again for Eric!
    Hard to beat a bit of colour coding for us mere mortals. A curse be upon your fancy dan Mitochondrial RNA Jimbo.
    Eric, you will remember of course that a population only runs into problems when the number of sex alleles drops to 6 or less, and even then only in your hypothetical completely closed population. Doesn't seem to be a problem on Colonsay with a closed population of 50 colonies.

As an aside, I was talking to Micheál Mac Giolla Coda the Galtee man last Saturday and your spirit appeared before me in a vision so I asked him about inbreeding problems. You can stop worrying about the Galtee bees getting inbred. He has 150 colonies, and his sidekick Redmond has 100. There are other beekeepers in the valley with 30 or 40 and the total number certainly runs to maybe 500. I think there are 80-100 beekepers involved.

Blog Entries

I'm keeping out of this one, other than to say that Jim's RNA is micro rather than mitochondrial this time. Its the latest fad. Micro-RNA is a short sequence that folds back into a hairpin and effective suppresses the expression of a gene. Part of the feedback mechanisms that makes organisms tick.

Sorry Nellie, you can safely ignore this. Unlikely to feature in a BBKA exam.

Blog Entries

All preparation for next year!