Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Photo competition

Blog Entries

Default Photo competition

Not for the faint-hearted, here is a new competition. A photo competition. Prizes? Oh, I don't know. I'll think of something appropriate.

Although I have the permission of the person donating this material to be open, I think that I'll keep his identity secret. If he wants to come on here and fess up, that is up to him!

Here is one of perhaps a thousand wax objects lying about his yard. Mostly wax anyway. From a distance I thought they were queens cells, but they are a little larger (I'll measure one tomorrow). What are they, and what made them?

Gavin

This is annoying the life out of me already. I'm thinking along the lines of bird pellets however its the quantity that makes me think it could be something else.

Blog Entries

Well done! It was given to me as the product of the other end of the bird, but having thought about it I think that would be anatomically impossible.

Second half of the question: what bird? The object at the thicker end is about the width of the thin end of my little finger.

G.

First thought was barn owl however pellets are usually always dark coloured regardless of prey eaten. Now thinking kestrel or sparrowhawk.

Blog Entries

Nope! Not a bird of prey or an owl. No seagull mess in the yard either.

This could take a while. Kingfisher ???

Blog Entries

Woodpecker? (no idea if they spit pellets, but if it's wax then what the heck for a stab in the dark guess).

My guess would be chickens, perhaps from feeding drone comb?

Blog Entries

Excellent suggestions, I see where you are going with this. But no, not kingfisher, woodpecker nor any kind of domesticated fowl.

Get the right bird family and I'll give it to you.

I probably shouldn't reveal that a private correspondent suggested that it might be a cut and paste merchant's (one very seldom on this forum) <ctrl> key, but clearly that hasn't been through a bird so it can't be that either.

Blog Entries

Here are a couple more examples of the detritus lying on the ground and on objects in that beekeeper's yard. Lots of them. In a suburban setting.

These other ones were a bit more fibrous but still essentially wax - from a bird not noted for its fibre intake.