Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hive Records

Blog Entries

it also has/had the key advantage of keeping your data on your own computer. I'll try and have a look at it and see what I can do with it.

I didn't do much in the way of analysis with it simply because I never had any quantity of data to do any analysis with

If you have a smartphone, why not give Beetight a bash for record keeping. I've found it a huge benefit as I can study hive records anywhere anytime and it comes into its own when discussing any problems at association apiary meetings as information is available to hand instantly. No more lost paperwork.

Blog Entries

My only concern with Online systems like that is the amount of data they necessarily collect about me/my activities, hence looking to produce something similar that keeps people's information on their own computers.

Used to think I'd recall enough without jotting it down ... hopeless! I have an Excel file from which I print cards. Carry these in a wee folder in my bee box as I often want to study them back home as well as beside the bees. I've attached (if I can figure that out) a pdf version in case you're interested: Hive record card.pdf

Kate

Blog Entries

nice file Kate, the only thing I'd add is the weight of honey harvested / spring summer autumn and varroa fall count.

Blog Entries

Hi Kate,

Looks good to me & not too fussy so I'm less likely to 'forget' to complete it.

Quote Originally Posted by Calum View Post
    nice file Kate, the only thing I'd add is the weight of honey harvested / spring summer autumn and varroa fall count.
    Thanks Calum. Yes, I make a note of the honey harvest from the colony, but we are amongst the lucky ones ... no Varroa so far. And I note that when I do regular checks!

I've only kept Varroa-free bees for 18 months (after 14 years with the mite-infested bees) and amazed to see how effective they are. They are very well acclimatised too, having evolved from stocks in the area mixed over many years. The beekeepers here don't seem to have "winter losses" in their vocabulary. Wonder how long we can enjoy this.

Blog Entries

Hi Kate,
    no varroa lucky you! The estimated winter losses for Germany are 200000 but that figure is likely to go up if the numbers of colonies for sale are anything to go by (60% fewer and the prices here are up 25 pounds already on last year).
    I managed to get all mine through without a loss, but my methods are not what everyone could implement.
    I take it you moved up north from down south then?

Hi Calum
    I'm a Scot but I first kept bees in London, then in Edinburgh, and now in wilds of the west highlands ... beautiful! Look out for the Scottish Varroa Mapping project to be run this Summer, through Scottish Beekeepers Association. One of Scotland's best kept secrets ... the large tracts of Varroa-free bees and beekeeping. Want to put that on public record to support voluntary non-movement of bees into these areas ... a very tenuous connection with "Hive records"!

I’m a newbie beekeeper, but also someone who likes to keep detailed records of everything. To that end, I’ve created a hive record card based on the BBKA card that I use as an overview of each hive, but also a much more detailed ‘inspection sheet’. The latter even has a brood box configuration chart that allows me to quickly and easily tick what we see on each individual frame within the brood box.

I realise that this is overkill but it does allow us to see how a colony develops over time which may not be necessary but is very interesting. I’ve written a blog post about hive records where you can download these sheets and use them if you wish – Beekeeping – Hive Records. I hope they prove useful to someone. The blog post also reviews a couple of online Hive Record apps.

Al.