Page 92 of 414 FirstFirst ... 42829091929394102142192 ... LastLast

Thread: todays news

Blog Entries

Don't want to swank (well OK I do) but they're common as muck round here. This photo posted on Tobermory Otter Fund's facebook page7 sea eagles.jpg That's 7 sea eagles on the beach!

So that's where they all go on holiday

Blog Entries

So - does anything pick off your mouse guards .... and, have you ever tried dressing up in a small deer costume and prancing about in the paddock?!

Blog Entries

One of these do you?

Blog Entries

No to both, Gavin. A couple of the nearest sea eagles came and took a look at the hens but I have more problems with buzzards as hen-killers (usually just one rogue buzzard gets a taste for hens now and again). Oddly enough hen harriers never bother them and although the regular peregrine causes the cockerels to sound a warning, he's more of a problem for other birds. I have to check the hives every morning in case the deer have used them as scratching posts. (When our B & B ad says 'wildlife on the doorstep' it's no exaggeration; the deer even chomped the primulas in a tub on the doorstep!)

Blog Entries

The buzzards on the estate were making themselves unpopular by knocking off a pheasant a day at one stage. Seemed entirely reasonable to me that such a predator helped itself to the easy meals on offer.

Neil - that must be a goldie. I can't imagine anyone having a sea eagle on their arm and still remaining upright.

seaeagle.jpg

Here is a picture of one of my friends who is involved in the tagging of white-tailed eagles around Scotland. What an amazing job (if you have a head for heights!). Pretty rank smell in that nest though

Blog Entries

See - a couple of half-sized sea eagles under each arm and he has to sit down. What a cracking job though. Just hope that he changes his breeks before he goes home. Looks as happy as a pig in sh%!.

Quote Originally Posted by greengumbo View Post
    Pretty rank smell in that nest though
    He could have waited ...

Sorry

Default Re: todays news

Removed the remnants of a colony from the eaves of a house today.. reached a balmy 10degrees so I finally went for it (owners selling it, so wanted it out asap).

Didn't know what to expect but it turned out to be a small cluster left on loads of comb. Luckily enough my dad lifted a comb out with her majesty sitting on it.. I thought I was going to have to use a cone to get the bees and lose the queen.

They are in a polynuc with 2 frames of stores and a tray of fondant, probably overkill but these Aw the only live bees I have