Page 91 of 414 FirstFirst ... 41818990919293101141191 ... LastLast

Thread: todays news

Default todays news

Drawing pins aren't the most secure of fixings , an hour of sun expanding the metal mouse guard will loosen the pins, strong winds up through omf will eddy on exiting through 10 mil holes in mouse guard. It takes surprisingly little to dislodge a mouse guard so affixed !
    VM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Agree John.
    I always put one in the middle as well as one at each end

Blog Entries

Default todays news

The floors have the correx sheets in and are in a fairly sheltered spot. Don't think it was the wind. Geese are indeed possible. Still some left though numbers have been slowly declining overwinter. Is the demise of the geese the fox or possibly the sea eagle I mentioned on the BKF?

Sent from my BlackBerry 8520 using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Just back from checking an apiary, and in front of a hive,dead, was a royal eagle. 1m90 wingspan, no visible wounds.A real beauty.

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by chris View Post
    Just back from checking an apiary, and in front of a hive,dead, was a royal eagle. 1m90 wingspan, no visible wounds.A real beauty.

Poisoning ? Carbofurin would show the throat area skin as blue. Bit of a problem with it up here at the moment.

I collected a few WBCs for free from a beekeeper today who said I could have them. Big things but lovely looking. They don't look that much of a hassle to work with compared to what I have heard, other than having to remove the liffs which are not heavy. Not for me but for a wee garden project nearby.

Quote Originally Posted by chris View Post
    You are just kidding right??
    It might be just a drone or something Varifocals can do that sometimes

My poor old bees are still struggling to find pollen.The whins are still buried under feet of snow. Lot of snow/ice damage to trees and shrubs. They are all still flying actively tho'. Only lost one so far,was a late swarm so probably had a failing queen. Died with plenty of food left in the hive. Waiting for the weather to warm up 'cos I've got to Baily comb change a couple of colonies from 16x10's to National poly hives. We get Sea Eagles down here but havent touched my hives so far !!

Blog Entries

These eagles could be the ones picking off the mouse guards (and the geese). They probably do it on purpose so that they can come back and get the mice later.

Smashing bird, pity to hear of its demise. In case anyone is curious ..... l'aigle royal, en anglais, c'est 'Golden Eagle'. Chris has been away too long!

Our white-tailed (or sea) eagles dwarf the goldens: wing span up to about 2.4m (8 feet). You don't want to be gadding about in the orchard in a (small) deer suit when they're around. Didn't know that they reached Galloway.

Rare ,but I've seen the odd one following fishing boats in the north channel. Had Peregrins chasing the neibours pigeons around my hives tho'.