Page 55 of 414 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765105155 ... LastLast

Thread: todays news

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Calum View Post
    Spammers have invaded the blog section.
    But their remedies are herbal - so they are ok, ie not working for Monsanto (I'm assuming herbal organic).
    Thanks for reporting them Calum. I've been off on foreign travels with very limited access to the internet and (hadn't realised this) my little helpers didn't have the necessary permissions to deal with them in the Blog section. I've had a good rummage in the workings under the bonnet and worked out how to remedy that, so we should now have more hands available to remove these pests more quickly.

Blog Entries

I did as much limitation as I could at the time. I didn't really want to broadcast that I couldn't do anything in the blog section

Blog Entries

Your powers, young man, are now near-infinite!

Blog Entries

okkkkk, that picture along with the drunken childrens party clown will haunt my nightmares...

Blog Entries

well look at that. Advacadavra! and the spam entry was gone. It works!

Blog Entries

Excellent.

In this case the nasty person used this Arizona IP address to register

General IP Information
    IP: 64.120.45.126
    Decimal: 1081617790
    Hostname: 64.120.45.126.ubiquityservers.com
    ISP: Nobis Technology Group, LLC
    Organization: Nobis Technology Group, LLC
    Services: None detected
    Type: Corporate
    Assignment: Static IP
    Blacklist:
    Geolocation Information
    State/Region: Arizona
    City: Phoenix
    Latitude: 33.6748
    Longitude: -111.9519
    Area Code: 480
    Postal Code: 85054

but this was showing while he was online, an address in California.

General IP Information
    IP: 50.117.73.190
    Decimal: 846547390
    Hostname: 50.117.73.190
    ISP: EGIHosting
    Organization: Merc Netlist
    Services: None detected
    Type: Corporate
    Assignment: Static IP
    Blacklist:
    Geolocation Information
    State/Region: California
    City: San Jose
    Latitude: 37.3338
    Longitude: -121.8915
    Area Code: 408
    Postal Code: 95113

Should we now hunt him/her down and set the authorities on them? I'd vote for the second one being his 'home' IP address although it does say that it is corporate. His SBAi account, and the permission to get on here for these IP addresses are history.

Hackers and spammers *can* be really stupid. There was one guy who brought down the forum. Combining clues from his IP address and his email address, I knew his name, exactly where he lived, which school he went to (yup, just a schoolkid), what his brother, sister and mother were called, even saw some of them on his open Facebook page. However he was contrite, so I left him in peace.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by chris View Post
    If the beekeeper adds a super, the bees go up to the top of the super and build downwards.
    post #454

Ahem. Just back from an inspection. On a 10 frame brood box I had added a 9 frame super last week. The super frames were all new, and had just a thin line of wax under their top bar. The bees had just built up from the tops of the broodbox frames, in between the super frames. Their construction had reached about a third of the way up before being attached to the super frames in a way only to be understood by a good grasp of bee logic.

Conclusion: bees do what they want.
    Last edited by chris; 13-07-2012 at 10:45 AM.

Blog Entries

Could this differ according to season? In spring they are in expansive mood and will happily bridge across large gaps supplied by the beekeeper, 'knowing' that they should have the resources to fill that gap with winter stores. In late summer here they turn to infilling around and immediately above the shrinking brood nest in preparation for winter. Often much of our heather honey crop ends up there.

I have a double brood box colony with two intervening supers, in a Demaree arrangement for queen cell raising. It has been left alone for about a month and now has the top brood box mostly filled with honey and the supers below it with empty drawn comb. A month from now it would be putting honey in the bottom brood box and maybe the first super above it.

Blog Entries

Just on the way back to Glasgow from Ayrshire & a CABA day out to Auchincruive. Great day with quite a few Associations represented. Didn't know there was male & female OSR, which we were shown on a field where it had been planted in alternate rows for seed production.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1342373319.188002.jpg

Blog Entries

Still no new stings to report.

Both splits that I made are now superseding which given the weather is no great suprise, that they got mated queens at all is a big surprise in many respects. Horrible hive has calmed down a bit, I'm wondering whether clearing all the overgrowth from the hive entrance has had anything to do with them being far less inclined to go at whoever opens them up. They're still far from nice bees to go into but they don't worry me quite as much as they did.