Page 5 of 414 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast

Thread: todays news

Still lots of activity despite the high winds (forecast 60mph for here) Light fawn pollen at the moment - haven't a clue as to the source.Whins still flowering strongly and my cherry trees bursting buds-fingers crossed theres no late frost.Daffodils are giving their best showing ever and very forward.

Finally a good day to open up the hives. Both building with eggs and Larva present, stores building, and pollen coming in.
    Being my first winter, there are a few combs where i have dead bees in the cells arse out, and mould on the comb. Will the bees clear it? or do i need to replace the comb?

NOT a beekeeping day today - cold,wet dank low cloud, bees shivvering. Not nice.

Blog Entries

It looks like it might be improving for the weekend though? I've just seen a circle with '19' in it for my part of Scotland on Saturday so maybe I'll get a proper look at them then. Here in the Netherlands summer seemed to arrive yesterday afternoon. The swallows are here, maybe Galloway has them too?

G.

Quote Originally Posted by gavin View Post
    It looks like it might be improving for the weekend though? I've just seen a circle with '19' in it for my part of Scotland on Saturday so maybe I'll get a proper look at them then. Here in the Netherlands summer seemed to arrive yesterday afternoon. The swallows are here, maybe Galloway has them too?

G.
    Still waiting for the first swallow Gavin--won't be long now.We've had a couple of Blackcaps - male and female on the fat balls yesterday and today tho'.Our different bird species count has just reached 59. The bees are going crazy,pollen pouring in and I presume nectar too.Going to have the first real inspection if the temperature remains high.There are so many bees in the hives that I'm going to have to super as well, as much for room as anything.

Blog Entries

No swallows yet, but the first cuckoo. I did my first inspection proper this morning. All fine and building beautifully. One hive bursting and drones flying, so I did a split and moved one half to the cherry orchard. The trees are in flower- a month ahead of usual. Hopefully all will go well as it is my most productive hive. I was planning to split it this year, though not nearly so soon. I have this horrible feeling that all this gain will have to be paid later. Or maybe it's just the pessimist beekeeper blues.

Blog Entries

Well, I seem to be down a queen already and I still haven't managed to inspect all my colonies yet. One of the colonies is distinctly lacking in eggs and young larvae and there are 3-4 supersedure cells on one of the frames so I'll leave them alone now for a couple of weeks and see how they get on. I've given them a super in the meantime and have started a bailey change on the other colony. The hive on the nature reserve I've still yet to inspect this year, but I hope to get to it before next weekend.

Hi Nellie,

A bit early for queen cells. Is there any drones? I did see a few drones today when we opened the club hives to mark the queens but they would not likely be sexually mature yet.

Blog Entries

That's what I though, but they are there and it doesn't appear to be swarming, t They're a reasonably strong colony and there are a few drones around in the hives at the moment, but not a huge number. They definitely had a queen two weeks ago, but apparently not today and not for some time by the looks of it.

Blog Entries

finally got the last of the supers on my colonies, so now all but two on three magazines. 18°C here so the dandylion is giving nectar, pear trees all in full flower too. Selling of three colonies tomorrow - big demand here, estimated over 200000 colony losses in Germany.
    Warnings from one of the beekeeping institutes to be on the lookout for swarms before the end of april and heavy varroa infestation. Seens about right with what is happening here in my area..