Page 402 of 414 FirstFirst ... 302352392400401402403404412 ... LastLast
Results 4,011 to 4,020 of 4137

Thread: todays news

Casters? Castors?

Three ... because my extractor has three legs I simply bolted them to the end of the legs using an M10 bolt and one of those plastic threaded locking nuts. Seems pretty secure and makes it easier to move it around the building as well.

Senior Member Mellifera Crofter's Avatar
    Aberdeenshire, on top of a wind-swept and exposed hill.

Castors. And Supersedure. I'm a zealot when it comes to spelling - but I only see other people's mistakes, not my own of which there are many.

I think I'll follow your example, and free my dolly for other uses.

Kitta

Hi Kitta
    Casters and castors are probably both acceptable ... the etymology in OED shows that both have been used historically, including in (British) English publications.
    Screenshot 2019-06-20 12.18.39.jpg
    I've always liked etymology (my school Latin has to be useful for something) which is perhaps surprising as my spelling is so poor.
    I've got a dolly I could use for stacking supers on and wheeling them about. 'Could' because my house is on about 3 different levels with 2-3 steps to negotiate

PS Weird behaviour with attachments ... smaller screenshot was uploaded first and then I realised the larger one would be better. ...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by fatshark; 20-06-2019 at 12:24 PM. Reason: PS

Default todays news

Quote Originally Posted by Mellifera Crofter View Post
    Castors. And Supersedure. I'm a zealot when it comes to spelling - but I only see other people's mistakes, not my own of which there are many.

I think I'll follow your example, and free my dolly for other uses.

Kitta
    Where I live a castor is a small articulated wheel.
    A caster is a small maggot bred on fish for the use of anglers .
    Correction a caster is an advanced chrysalis that readily floats on water !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by wee willy; 20-06-2019 at 08:28 PM.

Blog Entries

Well the brambles are coming. Already out in the lowlands but still thinking about here in the Mendips.

I’ve stopped feeding and added supers to the two bigger colonies, more in hope than expectation at the moment and resisting the urge to combine them into one big double brood hive.

This year is about getting going again. I’ve not been through the 14x12 Nucs yet but hope the first should be nearly ready to transfer to a full size hive in the next week or two but will decide what to do with them once I’ve had a chance to go through them properly.

Quote Originally Posted by Neils View Post
    Well the brambles are coming. Already out in the lowlands but still thinking about here in the Mendips.

I’ve stopped feeding and added supers to the two bigger colonies, more in hope than expectation at the moment and resisting the urge to combine them into one big double brood hive.

This year is about getting going again. I’ve not been through the 14x12 Nucs yet but hope the first should be nearly ready to transfer to a full size hive in the next week or two but will decide what to do with them once I’ve had a chance to go through them properly.
    Out here in the northwest
    Dog roses being hammered !

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Senior Member Mellifera Crofter's Avatar
    Aberdeenshire, on top of a wind-swept and exposed hill.

Quote Originally Posted by fatshark View Post
    Hi Kitta
    Casters and castors are probably both acceptable ... the etymology in OED shows that both have been used historically, including in (British) English publications. ...
    Quote Originally Posted by wee willy View Post
    Where I live a castor is a small articulated wheel.
    A caster is a small maggot bred on fish for the use of anglers .
    Correction a caster is an advanced chrysalis that readily floats on water !
    I see, Fatshark - it can be either (but I prefer 'castor'). I've even found a new definition: the pelt of a beaver, or medicine made from a beaver's perineal sacs; and a hat made from beaver fur.

As for 'caster' also being a small maggot ... I shouldn't want to literally translate my own surname with that: a pot maggot (a foundryman, I think - somebody who casts pots).
    Kitta

I’m having real trouble with queen rearing this year.
    None of my spilts has produced a mated queen after two months and even a swarm I collected three weeks ago has no eggs. I’m down to three queens and no queen cells in any of my queen right colonies. That will larn me for selling a nuc last autumn and a colony this spring! I’m blaming the weather but maybe it is the beekeeper!

I'm in good company then ... my notes are full of comments like Polished cells but no eggs. Give them another week then unite. However, I'm hopeful we're just turning the corner. Colonies are starting to fill supers again, starting to draw comb and the temperature nearly reached 19C this afternoon.

I was also called to collect a swarm from round the corner. They're definitely not my bees ... are the yours Gavin? Very pale, beautiful temper