Page 4 of 414 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast

Thread: todays news

Blog Entries

Colleague spotted another CBPV corpse outside one of my hives today. Not 100% convinced it's not the same one I saw the other day and we had some (very) light poo spotting on another colony in the same apiary. Think it might be time to get the matchbox out and do the sensible thing. My head tells me that it's probably nothing too much to get worked up about and I was intending to try and get a quick inspection in over the weekend, but the weather's supposed to cool down again, but I'm going to have to do at least a quick look on this one I think but perhaps leave condensing the double brood down to a single box for later in preparation to Bailey change it to a 14x12 as I think that might take more time than I want a colony open for at the moment.

Blog Entries

CBPV corpse ? whats that?

Blog Entries

Bee that is now pushing up the daisies that appears to have met its maker from Chronic Bee Paralysis Virus.

What an active last few days.The temperature has been high enough for a quick peek inside-loads of sealed brood,eggs and larvae.Bees VERY gentle and returning to the hives LADEN with pollen.Signs of fresh nectar as well.Still only found one dead mite under one colony after a week.Weather to get colder as the weekend approaches so will probably curtail foraging for a while.Time to keep an eye on stores as with all the brood activity they'll quickly consume everything.

Activity slowed a bit today with the drop in temperature.Bumbles getting active again.

Blog Entries

Saw a few different bumbles in the garden today- 1 fussing around the compost heap.

Blog Entries

Bumbles spotted here too. Unconfirmed rumours of bees living in the gaps in the brickwork in one of our garden walls, but nothing see around the solitary bee shelter I put up a couple of weeks ago.

Been through two of my hives yesterday, I'd forgotten just how much I love doing this. Sadly too cold to take a leisurely look through them, but just having the hives open and seeing my ladies makes me happy.

Colonies at sea level last week were doing well and pollen going in but the colonies on the hill were not so active and no pollen seen. All OK today with pollen now going into all hives in abundance. Will need to get my breeding plan sorted and not leave it to the last minute as usual.

Orkney (it’s usually cool and windy but somehow the bees survive!)

Hello all
    It’s been about 8°c here for the last few days and the forecast for the next 10 days isn’t very bee friendly lots more wind and rain on the way. I had a quick look at my apiary yesterday and all 8 hives had bees flying at different strengths, I didn’t get too close, as I had left my veil at home. As soon as we get a calm day I’ll clean the hive floors and check the weight of stores. I’m hoping to do less spring feeding this year.
    I’ve spoken to a few local beekeepers and nobody seems to have suffered any winter losses but its early days yet and no doubt some of us will find drone layers or queenless colonies once we can get into our hives.
    The dandelions are starting to make an appearance, they’re an important source of spring forage up here and hopefully they will be in abundance this year.
    Lindsay in Orkney (it’s a little bit north of Bristol)
    Last edited by lindsay s; 31-03-2011 at 07:15 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lindsay s View Post
    Lindsay in Orkney (it’s a little bit north of Bristol)

Is this going to be another winter that flies in the face of the "bees are dying!!!!!" I wonder?

I've checked two of my three so far and they both look fine. Looking at the forecast I think the other one will have to wait a little while but it looks good at the entrance. Funnily enough the one thing I haven't seen yet are dandelions, even on the paths in the allotment. I do work in concrete land though.