Page 374 of 414 FirstFirst ... 274324364372373374375376384 ... LastLast
Results 3,731 to 3,740 of 4137

Thread: todays news

Thanks GG
    Someone needs to sort these types of Q's out

So here's another one ... is it the mites that are different, or is midwinter brood (or late season, or whatever) for some reason less suited for the mite reproduction? I can't imagine the convoluted experiment that would need to be done to sort this out ... perhaps a business-class flight to the Southern Hemisphere with a pocketful of summer mites?

Quote Originally Posted by greengumbo View Post
    Oh fun.

I would wager that even in a non-treated colony a fair proportion of phoretic mites don't survive very long in winter anyway and those that do might not be in optimum reproductive state, at least come first brood rearing. In fact I wonder if in general these survivors use the early brood as, in effect, a hide out and to regain fitness - rather than to kick start full-on reproduction ? They would still be transmitting DWV but maybe not at the same rate ?
    I think thats fake news GG
    as the Donald might say

Sent from my LIFETAB_S1034X using Tapatalk

I'm not so sure DR.

Colonies with high mite levels can stagger through to the next season. If untreated the ratio of mites to pupa must increase hugely in winter simply on account of the low level of brood. Why isn't every new bee wrecked?

Quote Originally Posted by The Drone Ranger View Post
    I think thats fake news GG
    as the Donald might say

Possibly DR. One thing I definitely have in common with Trump is the need for a wig.

Mites are not machines though. A couple of months of living phoretically with no / low feed will take its toll. Many of the mite population at this stage will also be old grannies and could have undergone multiple reproductive cycles during the summer previous, which is no mean feat. I just can't see how they can be in tip top condition at the start of brood rearing. Could be totally wrong though

Quote Originally Posted by greengumbo View Post
    Possibly DR. One thing I definitely have in common with Trump is the need for a wig.

Mites are not machines though. A couple of months of living phoretically with no / low feed will take its toll. Many of the mite population at this stage will also be old grannies and could have undergone multiple reproductive cycles during the summer previous, which is no mean feat. I just can't see how they can be in tip top condition at the start of brood rearing. Could be totally wrong though
    Lol!

This is what beebase say
    "The life expectancy of Varroa mites depends on the
    presence of brood and will vary from 27 days to
    about 5 months. During the summer Varroa mites
    live for about 2-3 months during which time,
    providing brood is available, they can complete 3-4
    breeding cycles. In winter, when brood rearing is
    restricted, mites over-winter solely on the bodies
    of the adult bees within the cluster, until brood
    rearing commences the following spring."

Various sources might disagree I don't know for sure but I bet the people recommending a layer of leaves and moss in the bottom of the hive or hives made of cowpats will be at the forefront

Quote Originally Posted by The Drone Ranger View Post
    Lol!

This is what beebase say
    "The life expectancy of Varroa mites depends on the
    presence of brood and will vary from 27 days to
    about 5 months. During the summer Varroa mites
    live for about 2-3 months during which time,
    providing brood is available, they can complete 3-4
    breeding cycles. In winter, when brood rearing is
    restricted, mites over-winter solely on the bodies
    of the adult bees within the cluster, until brood
    rearing commences the following spring."

Various sources might disagree I don't know for sure but I bet the people recommending a layer of leaves and moss in the bottom of the hive or hives made of cowpats will be at the forefront

Are we not in agreement here ? Maybe "the summer previous" is a bit misleading from myself. I mean - during reproductive months. So a mite could have reproduced in the last bit of brood in September / October / November and then be in poor winter condition to survive phoretically.

GG ... I've found just the thing for you.

618joyLMIjL._UY445_.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by fatshark View Post
    GG ... I've found just the thing for you.

618joyLMIjL._UY445_.jpg
    Ha ha

worse than him for delusional thinking though is the Lithuanian Prime Minister who said Britain needs to agree how much to pay the EU before trade talks begin

In 2015 the taxpayers of Lithuania received from the European Union 148 euros per head over what they contributed. Since its accession to the EU the country has received from the European Union EUR 11191 million over what it has contributed

Lithuania has been a member of the European Union since May 2004

Lithuania GDP is 12,613 million Euro It has received 11191 million over and above what it has contributed to the EU
    Thats only up to to 2015

So I say shut up Lithuania your getting greedy
    Last edited by The Drone Ranger; 20-10-2017 at 04:02 PM.

You could say the same applies to the bees though GG

Turned into a decent ish day here so the bees are out and about. Surprised to see a handful of drones emerging from my wee hive. Shouldn't they have been done away with by now?

Colony is a split I made up during the summer, queen from a swarm cell mated here...

I don't intend to investigate until spring but could this be early signs of becoming a drone layer?

Thanks.