Page 367 of 414 FirstFirst ... 267317357365366367368369377 ... LastLast
Results 3,661 to 3,670 of 4137

Thread: todays news

Blog Entries

While I'm in blether mode, I was pleased to visit an apiary yesterday a km or so from the Tay. The air was full of heavy workers coming home (you know that low hum of a heavy worker coming home?) most of them with a white stripe down the back. The Himalayan balsam is in full swing early this year.
    Last edited by gavin; 08-08-2017 at 03:00 PM. Reason: l/t

Quote Originally Posted by gavin View Post
    ... you know that low hum of a heavy worker coming home? ...
    No

I remember it in the dim and distant past ...

On the edge of a mature pine forest, Kingussie, Inverness-shire

Quote Originally Posted by gavin View Post
    While I'm in blether mode, I was pleased to visit an apiary yesterday a km or so from the Tay. The air was full of heavy workers coming home (you know that low hum of a heavy worker coming home?) most of them with a white stripe down the back. The Himalayan balsam is in full swing early this year.
    We stood outside our hives tonight and the smell of honey was really strong. Heather honey here.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
    We stood outside our hives tonight and the smell of honey was really strong. Heather honey here.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    Yes indeed Brigit. its one of the heaviest ling flows *at this date* for many years right now. Weather looks like it might go crunch around 16th/17th....so take it while its there. Bees over at Kincraig have in many cases filled a deep from foundation in only about four or five days. Seems to be in all our areas to a greater or lesser extent. we are facing running out of gear for the first time since 2008..........and it has all turned around in the last week.

Bridget, C4U - Enough already! Its the hope that kills me. Saw these posts and was tempted to run home and make up some frames. Just found C4U on twitter with some lovely pictures. My bees should be within a hen harriers flying range of one of C4U's sites so fingers crossed.
    Its an exposed site but the sounds made by large numbers of lapwings, skylarks, oyster catchers, curlews and grouse are pretty wonderful.

On the edge of a mature pine forest, Kingussie, Inverness-shire

Quote Originally Posted by Calluna4u View Post
    Yes indeed Brigit. its one of the heaviest ling flows *at this date* for many years right now. Weather looks like it might go crunch around 16th/17th....so take it while its there. Bees over at Kincraig have in many cases filled a deep from foundation in only about four or five days. Seems to be in all our areas to a greater or lesser extent. we are facing running out of gear for the first time since 2008..........and it has all turned around in the last week.
    If we could ever get hives as strong as yours I still don't think they would fill a deep as quick as yours. However learnt lots from your talk last year and seen an improvement already. If you are passing by while checking your bees pop in. Can't promise a pizza this time but you never know , Fraser always keen get get the oven lit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Excellent news C$U.

I very much doubt Chain Bridge is in the same boat unless they move up north too? Bloody useless around here at the moment apart from pollen from the HB. Give it another week or so then take off the empty supers and start feeding.

Sighs.

PH

Senior Member Mellifera Crofter's Avatar
    Aberdeenshire, on top of a wind-swept and exposed hill.

Last week's news: I was on Gavin's - or rather, the Ochils Breeding Group's, excellent queen-rearing course last weekend, and came home with a queen cell. I think a queen has emerged, but the clues are a bit confusing. She might also have been killed before emerging. I'll find out soon enough.

queen cell.jpg

And today's news: I have been on the heather with the association visiting Murray's apiary. It was so good and, as on any visit to Murray, I learned a lot. I like this photo - that elegant contrapposto:

IMG_20170813_135423.jpg

Kitta

Really enjoyed the visit to the heather with Murray today too - I'm the glaikit one above Murray's left shoulder in your photo!

It was a pleasure having you all, as always. Thank you for those who got stuck and helped me through doing the site. You all saw the rather quick reuniting process in action too although some worried about the fate of the queens. Was nice to see some honey on board and glad that as far as I could see, only a black wooly sock wearer got unwelcome attention. Weather a bit dodgy unfortunately, which you guys almost always seem to get, but todays rain gives us a break and what comes down this week will keep the heather fresh all the way to seasons end. Looks good.

Must get a smaller bee suit.....looks like an wrinkly yellow elephant that's gone through a car wash in that pic!!!