Page 359 of 414 FirstFirst ... 259309349357358359360361369409 ... LastLast
Results 3,581 to 3,590 of 4137

Thread: todays news

A few times but not in huge numbers.

Pity as huge swathes of them here this year.

Quote Originally Posted by greengumbo View Post
    A few times but not in huge numbers.

Pity as huge swathes of them here this year.
    I was about to say likewise then realised we're in the same area!

Default Temper tantrums

The bees were really obnoxious when I inspected them this afternoon. All the worse because I've been splitting colonies and both the upper and lower boxes needed inspection. I got so fed up getting pinged and generally roughed-up that I packed up and walked away from the last stack. No stings, but that was more luck than judgement.

Funny (not funny ha ha) how their temper changes with a falling barometer, the flow stopping, me taking all their supers and then wanting to rummage through the downstairs neighbours ...

Orkney (it’s usually cool and windy but somehow the bees survive!)

Dull, cool (12-14⁰c), very windy and showers here today. Three hives had to be inspected and a split was carried out in between the showers. We had a couple of calm evenings mid-week so most of my inspections were done then, but still it’s not easy when all the bees are home for the night. We didn’t get any heat wave last week and when high pressure is in charge down south all the s!!! weather gets pushed over the top of us.
    Two weeks ago most of my hives were bursting with bees, supers were being added and new foundation was getting drawn and laid up in about five to six days. Fast forward to now, queens have almost stopped laying, foundation is being ignored and the most worrying thing of the lot is their stores are rapidly diminishing. We don’t suffer from the June gap here and at one apiary there are fields of clover within spitting distance of the hives, it’s just the weather that’s holding things back.
    Oh the JOYS of beekeeping in Orkney.

Had a look around the SBA tent at the RHS this weekend. Looking good and great to catch up with familiar faces.

Some nice honey on display as well.

Rosebay willow herb shooting up so will be open soonish.
    Spotted my first open flower of RBWH this morning so optimistic mine will survive!

A lot of my hives have responded to the lack of forage by practically stopping brood rearing
    Some are a little behind the curve with lots of sealed brood less larva
    One or two are just coming into lay again

If there is no stores smoke has no effect on them and a light spray with some sugar water might be better

Sent from my LIFETAB_S1034X using Tapatalk

Hi DR ... yes, I'm sure this is a temporary skirmish only. Most of the hives I've been checking are newly mated queens (the top part of my splits) and they're all laying really well. Stores levels are good as - during the time the Q was getting ready to do her stuff - the bees were piling in the nectar. Now there's nothing coming in they get very protective.

Actually, not entirely correct to say no flow ... it's raining this morning and is predicted to do so all day. I have to split off a nuc from a colony in the shed which are determined to otherwise swarm.

Wrong sort of flow

Lots of clover out at the moment and bees still working rasps and blackberries. Some summer rape up here as well. Rosebay willow herb shooting up so will be open soonish.
    Rosebay Willowherb is in full flower in my part of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by fatshark View Post
    Hi DR ... yes, I'm sure this is a temporary skirmish only. Most of the hives I've been checking are newly mated queens (the top part of my splits) and they're all laying really well. Stores levels are good as - during the time the Q was getting ready to do her stuff - the bees were piling in the nectar. Now there's nothing coming in they get very protective.

Actually, not entirely correct to say no flow ... it's raining this morning and is predicted to do so all day. I have to split off a nuc from a colony in the shed which are determined to otherwise swarm.

Wrong sort of flow
    Hi fatshark
    I think your forage will get better sooner than here
    I'm a bit higher up and agriculture is mainly arable
    The three crop rotation is potatoes, wheat, OSR
    Rain today so feeding the ones which are low

Sent from my LIFETAB_S1034X using Tapatalk