Page 353 of 414 FirstFirst ... 253303343351352353354355363403 ... LastLast
Results 3,521 to 3,530 of 4137

Thread: todays news

I have too much old comb. Once the honey has been taken off I want to seriously get the bees to move up to new comb in a number of hives. I often winter on double brood so if I can get them one box of good comb, the oldest can go downstairs on the outsides of the hive and by spring it should be empty of anything worthwhile.

Look at using a Snelgrove board next year you get new comb in the bottom a new queen in the top and no interruption in honey gathering
    Won't say any more

Sent from my LIFETAB_S1034X using Tapatalk

"Too good to be true" ... and I'm thinking my colonies with Snelgrove boards in might be upside down

Senior Member Mellifera Crofter's Avatar
    Aberdeenshire, on top of a wind-swept and exposed hill.

Quote Originally Posted by Feckless Drone View Post
    Not really today's news but a request. C4U posted his approach to getting comb drawn in the autumn. ... I've searched but cannot find it ...
    Here is one post from C4U, FD, and another. I think he wrote in more detail about it, and that I've kept in Evernote, but I can't find it!

Kitta

Kitta - thats great thanks. I am warming to the idea of changing the comb over much more than just a couple of frames each year. I can see however, that you need to feed or exploit the OSR perhaps.

I did a bailey comb change last year on a hive I got from another beekeeper. Worked a treat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by fatshark View Post
    "Too good to be true" ... and I'm thinking my colonies with Snelgrove boards in might be upside down
    http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/sho...185#post388185

You need a flow otherwise it will fail (won't draw wax /no honey)
    You have to get the board in before any queen cells are started

I wouldn't attempt upside down
    Training the old field bees to a new entrance disruptive
    Best of luck with it fatshark

Sent from my LIFETAB_S1034X using Tapatalk

Angry bees today. Inspecting a friends hive and ended up with a pile of bees trying to sting my ankles and climbing down into my boots! Followed me right down the field. Lesson learned - tuck trousers into socks. Time for a new queen asp. Never encountered such unpleasant bees. Luckily we have 11 nice QC on the cupkit and hoping for a successful hatch next weekend from a lovely amm colony.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Really great beekeeping day today. Took my wee boy of 6 out to one of the more placid apiaries to check on 5 new hives. Spent a good hour going through them and answering his questions. Second supers on two of them and demareed another.

3 weeks till end of OSR I reckon and a good week forecast. Swung past another apiary on the way home and they were piling in. Great sight to see

OSR here looking very bare now and with the deluge we have just had no doubt even barer. 1.4mm in ten minutes, it was literally bouncing.

2nd sups on some and 2nd BB and first sup on a ex nuc which is building up very nicely now using an Amm Q from Greece of all places. And before anyone kicks off you tell me first where to source them in Scotland?

On that note what is happening with the new society? Gone utterly silent it seems. I do hope it's not a fur coat and no knickers jobby?

PH