Page 348 of 414 FirstFirst ... 248298338346347348349350358398 ... LastLast
Results 3,471 to 3,480 of 4137

Thread: todays news

lol. When I find one of THOSE basking on a hive roof in the summer I'll be heading to Orkney .

On the edge of a mature pine forest, Kingussie, Inverness-shire

Quote Originally Posted by alancooper View Post
    Was it water on the underside of seeds - not yet evaporated but warmer than elsewhere and containing other soluble materials? I often see my bees sucking up small droplets from grass leaves in the sun.
    Don't think so as the seed was under a roof and it looked dry. Nice idea though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

On the edge of a mature pine forest, Kingussie, Inverness-shire

Quote Originally Posted by prakel View Post
    lol. When I find one of THOSE basking on a hive roof in the summer I'll be heading to Orkney .
    There is a great video doing the rounds of a French Beekeeper who has put his hens in near his hives and the hens are very partial to picking off the Asian hornets

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Blog Entries

Well ventured a quick peek in the hives today. A little nippy really but wanted to clear the floors. Two hives fine, queens seen and brood so closed up again nice and quick. One looks like it's not long for this world, no queen in evidence, not many bees and what little brood is in there I suspect is old. Not much I can do at this stage but two out of three is better than last year.

Quote Originally Posted by prakel View Post
    Some may remember the photos I posted a few years ago of the skeletal remains of a mouse, varnished with propolis and glued to the bottom bar of a frame. Well they've been at it again, but not a mouse this time:

Attachment 2810Attachment 2811Attachment 2811Attachment 2812Attachment 2812
    And a zinc excluder by the looks of it. Are there many left in use I wonder?

Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post
    I have many hundreds in the Smith unit. whilst wire are better the bees do seem to pass these easily when they are framed, more easily than plastic ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post
    At least 100 here - I might count them one winter evening, or not!

Peterborough, and into the flatlands to the north and east ...

Moved three hives to a new site last night. We ended up slightly later than expected so finished up, setting on stands and opening up, in the dark.

The site is on a nature reserve so will be interesting to see how it compares with my other out apiary further east which is much more agricultural.

Ironically though they've OSR closer on the new than the old site. We seem to have much less being grown around here this year. Is this a common change?

Quote Originally Posted by Wmfd View Post
    Moved three hives to a new site last night. We ended up slightly later than expected so finished up, setting on stands and opening up, in the dark.

The site is on a nature reserve so will be interesting to see how it compares with my other out apiary further east which is much more agricultural.

Ironically though they've OSR closer on the new than the old site. We seem to have much less being grown around here this year. Is this a common change?
    Common comment. With neonics, many farmers are growing something else..

Was also told today that oil prices are lower so less profit margin ...