Page 345 of 414 FirstFirst ... 245295335343344345346347355395 ... LastLast
Results 3,441 to 3,450 of 4137

Thread: todays news

Quote Originally Posted by fatshark View Post
    ... a quick peek recently showed quite a lot of eggs and young larvae ...
    I should have perhaps qualified this. I'm not poking around to satisfy curiosity. There was a very specific reason to go into this colony unrelated to beekeeping per se. "Don't do this at home" as they used to say about mildly risky activities on the Beeb. All of my other colonies were tucked up with ample fondant in early September and haven't been opened since the end of August. Other than observing what happens at the hive entrance and if brood cappings fall onto the Varroa tray (if it's in) there's almost nothing to do until April.

Some pollen coming in at one site yesterday and today - good to see

17'C according to the car !

Quote Originally Posted by greengumbo View Post
    Some pollen coming in at one site yesterday and today - good to see

17'C according to the car !

...and down to -3'C this morning. 20'C swing within a week.

At least the last of the wasps will now be gone.

Hidden amongst the various email adverts promoting Black Friday sales which seem to be cluttering my inbox I've just stumbled on this from Honingraat:

TOTAL SALE
    We stop with our shop on 31/01/2017.
    Till than you can order on our webshop with a reduction of 20%.
    Everything in stock must go
    Although it's certainly sad to think that they're closing down it may be an opportunity to pick up some useful stuff (keilers and the German mini-plus boxes etc jump to mind) at very good prices, they also have an excellent UK free shipping on orders over £75.

http://www.honingraat.eu/

Blog Entries

If you cannot play with the hives over the winter months you could build a new apiary. free from all pests and diseases and stings.
    https://ideas.lego.com/projects/92829

Nice work if you can get it ... I guess the journo who wrote that story doesn't appreciate the consequences of the juxtaposition of the words pro rata and 'four bee colonies'
    Last edited by fatshark; 30-11-2016 at 10:57 PM. Reason: consequences ...

Nice work if you can get it ... I guess the journo who wrote that story doesn't appreciate the consequences of the juxtaposition of the words pro rata and 'four bee colonies'
    Plus ubiquitous photo of bumble bee !

Blog Entries

pro rata
    I'm sure that I could stretch out an inspection to a day and a quarter if warranted :-)

Today's news in not even sunny Tayside in December is that the MiniPlus nucs at the front of the house are piling in a yellow pollen like it was a summer's day. Nice to see bees in an optimistic mood. I presume it is ivy.

G.

Quote Originally Posted by gavin View Post
    I'm sure that I could stretch out an inspection to a day and a quarter if warranted :-)

Today's news in not even sunny Tayside in December is that the MiniPlus nucs at the front of the house are piling in a yellow pollen like it was a summer's day. Nice to see bees in an optimistic mood. I presume it is ivy.

G.
    Excellent news indeed Gavin.

Bit chilly up here but a few workers venturing forth. Not sure where the ivy is around my apiary.

Also finally started building a honey warming cabinet. Box and insulation done and a small usb powered fan all wired up. Just need to decide on heating. I have a thermostat and loads of old reptile heat mats I thought I could bodge in or some old school light bulbs. My ecostat is wired up to an egg incubator so not overly keen to take it out and wire it to the cabinet.

Bit of workshop housekeeping going on. Bees seem to be flying at every opportunity. No pollen seen now - guess they are making cleansing flights. Got everything strapped down well for the forthcoming gales. Tomorrow is the shortest day so hopefully things will be looking up soon.