Page 343 of 414 FirstFirst ... 243293333341342343344345353393 ... LastLast
Results 3,421 to 3,430 of 4137

Thread: todays news

Quote Originally Posted by prakel View Post
    Tried it on a few colonies last year and can honestly say that it's changed my whole approach at this time of year, there's now a couple of extra months of 'useful' work Quite simply, I was blind to the full potential previously but I'd definitely suggest that you persevere with it in future years.
    +1
    Possibly the best thing I've picked up from the interweb.

Senior Member Mellifera Crofter's Avatar
    Aberdeenshire, on top of a wind-swept and exposed hill.

Quote Originally Posted by madasafish View Post
    Being obsessive, I weighed all my hive parts, frames etc...
    Impressive, Madasafish. I doubt that I will be in a position to follow your example. I'll stay with looking. I've not yet had a colony die of hunger or isolation starvation.
    Kitta

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Calluna4u View Post
    Gavin:- What are these fields with a brassica crop in them, looks like mustard but now flowering white and with occasional light purple flowering plants too? The bees are going nuts on it on sunny days. Nucs nearby have put on weight in October!
    Sounds like radish. There is a fodder radish used for game cover. The flowers tend to be a bit more open than OSR and with noticeable veins on the petals. Whitish to light purple.

Quote Originally Posted by gavin View Post
    Sounds like radish. There is a fodder radish used for game cover. The flowers tend to be a bit more open than OSR and with noticeable veins on the petals. Whitish to light purple
    That looks like the stuff Gavin. There are several fields of it near Meigle, also north of Burrelton. The bees are busy on it at every chance. Most of the flowers are white but some are light purple and some are various stages of intermediate.

One field has yellow mustard in the mix too, but it is almost past and the white/purple stuff has grown past it. Another has a mustard/phacelia mix in it.

Blog Entries

There was also a field of radish near Abernyte, so I hear.

Great to see them piling in yellow pollen during the brief sunny spell in the middle of the day. Ivy, I presume. That site, an old orchard in the Carse of Gowrie, used to have loads of ivy nearby but a groundsman cleared it out several years ago. I think that they now fly a few km for it on a S-facing slope. They're still taking down feed and building comb to put it in. Some of the colonies have shrunk to 5-6 frames of bees - natural shrinkage after a tough life on the heather or was my Varroa control a bit late?

All that rain recently has rendered a couple of apiaries off limits to Vera the Van. A kind fellow had to pull me out of one apiary near the Tay on Friday when the going got just too soft. Today I backed out of another before I went too far. It is the season for long walks in rather than driving up to the bees. Just as well the need to carry syrup to them is almost over.
    Last edited by gavin; 17-10-2016 at 11:11 PM.

Hi Gavin
    I have a Suzuki Jimny for those jobs
    Mind you it doesn't do much good when you lose your key in a deserted spot duh!!

Heres a pic of some of next years boxes pity you cant smell them
    I love the smell of cedar in the morning (cue Valkyries)IMG_20161027_120411.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by The Drone Ranger View Post
    Heres a pic of some of next years boxes pity you cant smell them
    Are those the seconds which you linked to previously?

Hi Prakel
    Yes they are all Thornes seconds boxes, roofs, and floors

Sent from my LIFETAB_S1034X using Tapatalk

Hi Prakel
    Yes they are all Thornes seconds boxes, roofs, and floors
    They look smart enough at those prices. If only their dadant gear got into the sales a little more often!

pity you cant smell them
    I love the smell of cedar in the morning]
    When I took up beekeeping a few years ago, the smell of cedar instantly reminded me of when I was a child and Dad kept bees. Bootiful.