Page 338 of 414 FirstFirst ... 238288328336337338339340348388 ... LastLast
Results 3,371 to 3,380 of 4137

Thread: todays news

Quote Originally Posted by gavin View Post
    Delicious smell of heather honey in the apiary.
    Oh! I'm going to have to get some supers organized then and pop up for a look. The problem is the work schedule and weather forecast. Gavin - did you put a clearer board on or just pop the next super under the filling one?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Feckless Drone View Post
    Oh! I'm going to have to get some supers organized then and pop up for a look. The problem is the work schedule and weather forecast. Gavin - did you put a clearer board on or just pop the next super under the filling one?
    I didn't have supers with me but will go up with them tomorrow. They'll go on top for most hives but for hives with cut comb supers that are near completion they'll go underneath. I don't use clearer boards (yet!) but just shake back into the colony (with an empty super in place) and brush off the few remaining bees, frame by frame.

The polystyrene hives were doing really well but the wooden ones (up there a week longer) less well. It could well be that the site the poly ones came from (and the fact they were polys) allowed more brood rearing in the weeks prior to moving them up, not sure. Last year it was the same - a better crop on the poly hives compared to the wooden ones (different early summer sites than this year).
    Last edited by gavin; 17-08-2016 at 10:30 AM.

Blog Entries

Yup, a super in five days may have been possible here too depending on the strength of the colony. Mine were single broods with single supers prior to the move and from which the honey had been harvested and the bees shaken into an empty super placed on top. In other words not particularly strong but good enough. And now the weather is even better ....

Blog Entries

Gavin, I do feel jealous, sometimes I wish there was heather at my back door

Yup, a super in five days may have been possible here too depending on the strength of the colony. Mine were single broods with single supers prior to the move and from which the honey had been harvested and the bees shaken into an empty super placed on top. In other words not particularly strong but good enough. And now the weather is even better ....
    Double broods with mostly 3 supers before being prepped for the journey . I've since picked up a better site( I think) about 400ft lower in altitude and denser heather. I've got another 6 ready to go up in the morning.
    I kept thinking the other day that I should have taken the honey and ran. I may have had more then than I'll have at the end. With forage in short supply at sea level they can only do better on the hill. Some equally strong Colonies have taken zip in a week of good weather in their home apiaries.
    Supers off for the rest, treatments and feeding for them now.
    1 site is a 2hr round trip for me , the other half that. So not exactly at my door. But this heather season has ... potential.
    Last edited by SDM; 17-08-2016 at 11:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SDM View Post
    Double broods with mostly 3 supers before being prepped for the journey . I've since picked up a better site( I think) about 400ft lower in altitude and denser heather. I've got another 6 ready to go up in the morning.
    I kept thinking the other day that I should have taken the honey and ran. I may have had more then than I'll have at the end. With forage in short supply at sea level they can only do better on the hill. Some equally strong Colonies have taken zip in a week of good weather in their home apiaries.
    Supers off for the rest, treatments and feeding for them now.
    1 site is a 2hr round trip for me , the other half that. So not exactly at my door. But this heather season has ... potential.
    Hmmmm I thought I was late getting some of mine to heather a few weeks back but I am now sorely tempted to move the remaining ones up on Saturday if you guys are suggesting its not too late. Heather does look very promising surrounding my site.

Hi everyone I am a new Member, I Joined the ESBA this year and I am eager to take my Bees to the Heather however I am finding it very difficult to find a spot. I have 3 hives 2 are fairly small one is double brood box. If anyone can help me find a spot it would be very much appreciated. thanks

Blog Entries

They broadcast part 1 this morning (on bee diseases) and I'm told part 2 will be next Saturday.

Skip on to 17 min if you must but the whole programme is essential listening for anyone with an interest in the outdoors in Scotland:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b07nn3rs#play

I thought that you came across very well Ewan

Piece on Himalayan balsam just before (11 min) the one on bees.
    In case anyone missed it this morning, another two pieces in this morning's excellent Out of Doors. I wouldn't be promoting it here unless I was pleased with the outcome :-)

Around 45 min and 1 hr 14 min 30 secs but, as usual, the whole show is worth a listen. Mark has put the video back up on top of their Facebook page.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b07pdp9j#play

Autumn conference in Elgin £40 I though that would be free as part of the membership benefits
    Probably reading it wrong and thats just if you attend the talks ?

Sent from my LIFETAB_S1034X using Tapatalk

Default reporting/publicity

How refreshing to hear (Out of doors) sensible discussion about bees and beekeeping on radio Scotland; then to read (The Courier) more common sense and good publicity with an article on one of the ESBA members, one Derek Uchman.