Page 337 of 414 FirstFirst ... 237287327335336337338339347387 ... LastLast
Results 3,361 to 3,370 of 4137

Thread: todays news

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by greengumbo View Post
    Not my own but yes used a forklift. How do you move yours Gavin ?
    Bent knees, clamp arms around the thing, close to the chest ... and .... lift!!

No wonder I have a bad back .

The first time an IBC was delivered onsite by the supplier (onto a stack of pallets) by a mystery means he was trying for the first time. He seemed keen that I *wasn't* there but I've seen him since so he did survive! The second time syrup was decanted into an empty IBC on a trailer and once on site a friendly farmer shifted it with a forklift.

Just wanted to add that we've talked of getting a pump for future moves of syrup off a trailer IBC and into an IBC on a stack.
    Last edited by gavin; 13-08-2016 at 12:06 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gavin View Post
    Just wanted to say that I'm finding your posts very helpful, Murray. Was chatting with another forum member on the occasion of the two of us being interviewed for Radio Scotland's Out of Doors in Glen Clova and we agreed that it is great to see the reports from you on what's happening in the hills and beyond.

The piece might be used in next Saturday's broadcast and Mark Stephen has already put some video on their Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/bbc.out.of....2407891460940/

They broadcast part 1 this morning (on bee diseases) and I'm told part 2 will be next Saturday.

Skip on to 17 min if you must but the whole programme is essential listening for anyone with an interest in the outdoors in Scotland:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b07nn3rs#play

I thought that you came across very well Ewan

Piece on Himalayan balsam just before (11 min) the one on bees.

Cheers Gavin. I sounded much more calm than I did last night after opening up a particularly nasty hive after moving it ! I'm glad they cut the bit where I said "ahhh um er I dont really know"!.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by emcampbell View Post
    I'm glad they cut the bit where I said "ahhh um er I dont really know"!.
    Shhh!!

Still some lime trees in Dundee yielding - bees at it before 8 am. Nectar drops visible on Himalyan balsm on Balgay hill, and I'm told the heather in the Angus glens is stunning this year. Must try to get up and have look.

Blog Entries

I was also surprised at the odd lime tree still being in full flower at the Botanic Gardens in Edinburgh yesterday. They're also in full flower in Glen Prosen.

Stopped off at an apiary near the Tay on the way back and the bees were excitedly flying back from the Himalayan balsam. Not much weight increase in the hive though, they're just recovering from a dearth.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Feckless Drone View Post
    Still some lime trees in Dundee yielding .
    This afternoon I spent some time lazing in a hamac tied to a couple of limes. The leaves are already turning brown and drifting off on the breeze. Oh to be in Scotland

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by chris View Post
    This afternoon I spent some time lazing in a hamac tied to a couple of limes. The leaves are already turning brown and drifting off on the breeze. Oh to be in Scotland
    The way the sun was beating down here today we'll be dried to a crisp soon too.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Feckless Drone View Post
    .... and I'm told the heather in the Angus glens is stunning this year. Must try to get up and have look.
    You'd better believe it. I need 10 more supers at one site (in the same Glen as yours) as they've largely filled the one they had when they went up a week ago (rather late, back problem). Delicious smell of heather honey in the apiary.

Same in Snowdonia, not 5 days up there and theyre capping the first box.
    Bring it on.