Page 331 of 414 FirstFirst ... 231281321329330331332333341381 ... LastLast
Results 3,301 to 3,310 of 4137

Thread: todays news

If we're talking about weather I can recommend Windy Wilson. The most recent forecast for Scotland is:

"WEEKEND . . . . . .
    Windy says check oot ma crayons below
    Saturday AND Sunday are very similar with a cold north westerly blowing in, bringing with it a "fresh feel" and rain to the NORTH WEST of Scotland, with a fair bit of cloud as well . . . although the rain might creep further SOUTH as the day / weekend goes on
    At the moment though, the worst of any sh*t will be up in the NORTH WEST, with the opposite corner (the south east) seeing the best of any brightness
    That is all
    "

Succinct and to the point. Not looking too clever for Kate, but probably OK for Gavin ...

Was up at the moors yesterday through the west Perthshire and Speyside range. The Ling is about 5% out in most parts of the range and even as much as 25% out in sheltered southern parts. Should be plentiful flower throughout most of August in many areas, but reckon the earliest spots will be finished by about the 20th or so and those places will be at peak flower by next weekend.

Blog Entries

Just wanted to say that I'm finding your posts very helpful, Murray. Was chatting with another forum member on the occasion of the two of us being interviewed for Radio Scotland's Out of Doors in Glen Clova and we agreed that it is great to see the reports from you on what's happening in the hills and beyond.

The piece might be used in next Saturday's broadcast and Mark Stephen has already put some video on their Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/bbc.out.of....2407891460940/
    Last edited by gavin; 30-07-2016 at 11:08 PM.

Senior Member Mellifera Crofter's Avatar
    Aberdeenshire, on top of a wind-swept and exposed hill.

Nice little video, Gavin.

I'm curious about the bees' entrance to your Swienty. I can't figure it out. It looks as though the entire broodbox is raised by a bee space above the floor - or was that just a temporary thing while you were manipulating the colony?

Kitta

Blog Entries

Hi Kitta

Maybe just an illusion caused by the shadow of the box above? They are just standard (old-style) Swienty/Denrosa boxes sitting straight on standard floors. That colony belongs to the East of Scotland Beekeepers Association. My own are mostly the new design of Swienty polyhives with some wooden Nationals.

There is an unpainted floor in the background. It was pressed into service in a hurry about 3 years ago and we've still not got around to painting it ....

G.

I see you are using my smoker Gavin :-)

Quote Originally Posted by madasafish View Post
    I see you are using my smoker Gavin :-)
    I put one just like it aside a year ago (and took it out to use this evening 'cos I'd left it where I untied the dog at an out-apiary). When I used it the bees they would invariably go into a frenzy, stinging the leather bellows, sometimes mistaking my hands for the bellows as I held it. Goodness knows what they used to cure the hide.

Why do bees nibble at foundation? Were they hungry?

(Camera photo - it's a bit out of focus.)

Kitta

nibbled comb IMG_20160730_152402.jpg

Bored? I usually see this when there's no flow on. I've always assumed they're trying to improve lateral routes through the colony. In a similar way, they will draw out a foundationless frame and not join it to the bottom (and sometimes side) bar.

20140629-0002.jpg

I hope so, Fatshark - bored, and creating passageways, rather than hungry.

That's a nicely-drawn comb. No nibbling there.