Page 330 of 414 FirstFirst ... 230280320328329330331332340380 ... LastLast
Results 3,291 to 3,300 of 4137

Thread: todays news

Quote Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
    See your bees are on the moor - looks like you have a fair few more than previous years.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    At the bunch nearest to you the moor (the flat bit to the east of Drumguish heading towards Ruthven Barracks) the number is larger this year, going back to what we had there about 5 years back. That moor is just recovering from a massive burn maybe four years or so back.....took out almost all the low ground heather.....and only now do we judge it good for a full load again. Its has been on half loads the last three or four years. We have another spot perhaps half a mile away up in the trees. That will be filled later this week, nothing there yet.

On the edge of a mature pine forest, Kingussie, Inverness-shire

Quote Originally Posted by Calluna4u View Post
    At the bunch nearest to you the moor (the flat bit to the east of Drumguish heading towards Ruthven Barracks) the number is larger this year, going back to what we had there about 5 years back. That moor is just recovering from a massive burn maybe four years or so back.....took out almost all the low ground heather.....and only now do we judge it good for a full load again. Its has been on half loads the last three or four years. We have another spot perhaps half a mile away up in the trees. That will be filled later this week, nothing there yet.
    I don't remember a burn of that heather moor but the very cold winter of 2012 ? also took its toll with the very cold easterly for weeks on end "burnt" the heather, especially the older stuff that was not covered and protected by the long lying snow. The heather took ages to recover and it just this year the new growth is looking shiny with good health

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well its not a blossom washout everywhere........whilst there was reasonable nectar locally the last couple of days, and even where there are limes the bees are favouring other things, I sent one of my teams down to the Kincardine Bridge area today to prepare the 7 apiaries we have in that vicinity (both sides of the Forth) and they found all places full of honey. Even the new foundation added before shifting time is all drawn and full. Lots of fresh honey and north of the bridge its all white and almost certainly clover, south of the bridge its all lime, at three sites and clover again at another. Not able to move these now due to fresh honey and nectar on new wax, and heat. Will probably try to reclear them on Friday and get them away so they don't miss any of the Ling.

These bees were last visited about `14 days ago and had excluders removed, deeps added and extra shallows before their move to the heather. Now all needs done again. Tragic!

Quote Originally Posted by Calluna4u View Post
    Lol...yes indeed. Got that a lot last year.

,.......drone mothers kept back at the two mating units
    Hi C4u
    If those drone colonies were made queenless for a while or split using your flight boards would they hang on to their young drones longer?

Sent from my LIFETAB_S1034X using Tapatalk
    Last edited by The Drone Ranger; 20-07-2016 at 11:42 AM.

Probably would. The part waiting for a queen would most likely keep a drone load for some time, all through till they were queenright with a laying queen. However, with these going off to the heather when their work is done its best not to dismember them too much. They have to go in the end, a full colony not going to the heather costs a lot in lost earnings.

Early drone eviction is not a bad trait, means they are stable for the season after that, which cuts down work. Just a shame when the good colonies have bumped them off, as it increases the risk of rag, tag and bobtail drones from the local area getting a chance at the grafted stock......

I remember you pointing that out at your queen raising day C4u

Sent from my LIFETAB_S1034X using Tapatalk

Ling started to flower (just a few clumps) at our bees near Amulree last night. Will be a lot of flower and be full on in a week. If you plant to go to0 the ling be careful not to miss it.

When investigated yesterday by two other teams working here it was found the Kincardine Bridge area flow had been rather (ok ... greatly) exaggerated..............no stripping needed....just looked good after the weeks of dearth.

Finished moving the Scottish based bees to the heather this morning, bar one lot going later once their job as drone mothers at the second mating unit is done. 2200 colonies plus 900 splits on the moors now. Calluna nectar already coming in at the earliest spots, but most places its bell. Combs and combs of it like water yesterday near Braemar and Kingussie, but relatively little in other places so its still very sporadic .

Start on the English unit tomorrow but that should only take us one week.

Last grafts come out of the finishers today and then all those colonies get reformatted back to normal hives, their main job for the season done. Those lines dropping out of the programme already removed off to the heather and back into the general pool. The active management season is virtually over.

We are having a very long and hot summer here in Cyprus with 35C+ everyday for the last 6 weeks. The bees and the beekeeper are really feeling the heat even at 1800 hours. The hive is a cell starter hive packed with young worker bees it has an excluder between the floor and the chamber.
    It is hot.jpgStarter hive feeling the heat.jpg

If we're talking about weather I can recommend Windy Wilson. The most recent forecast for Scotland is:

"WEEKEND . . . . . .
    Windy says check oot ma crayons below
    Saturday AND Sunday are very similar with a cold north westerly blowing in, bringing with it a "fresh feel" and rain to the NORTH WEST of Scotland, with a fair bit of cloud as well . . . although the rain might creep further SOUTH as the day / weekend goes on
    At the moment though, the worst of any sh*t will be up in the NORTH WEST, with the opposite corner (the south east) seeing the best of any brightness
    That is all
    "

Succinct and to the point. Not looking too clever for Kate, but probably OK for Gavin ...