Page 327 of 414 FirstFirst ... 227277317325326327328329337377 ... LastLast
Results 3,261 to 3,270 of 4137

Thread: todays news

Quote Originally Posted by fatshark View Post
    Must be the lack of weather the BBC are predicting this week ...

Attachment 2711
    Similar to here minus 1C.

.. My mixed mongrel buckfast/carnie mix appear to cope.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by madasafish View Post
    Similar to here minus 1C.

.. My mixed mongrel buckfast/carnie mix appear to cope.
    I reckon that the supercomputer running it all had a meltdown when a butterfly (or something) caused the screeching of brakes and application of reverse gear on that prediction of a warm weekend. We seem to be continuing with the usual cool, breezy, showery stuff.

Blog Entries

On the other hand, despite the beeb last night saying the contrary, this site is still predicting a bit of a warm(ish) spell a few days ahead. Murray posted the link to this site last year I think.

http://weather.unisys.com/gfs/gfs.ph...region=eu&t=9p

Anyone for tennis sorry I mean varroa control
    http://www.beeculture.com/winter-bee...l-combination/

Sent from my LIFETAB_S1034X using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by gavin View Post
    On the other hand, despite the beeb last night saying the contrary, this site is still predicting a bit of a warm(ish) spell a few days ahead. Murray posted the link to this site last year I think.

http://weather.unisys.com/gfs/gfs.ph...0p®ion=eu&t=9p

For up to 7 days I use XCweather which is great for finding gaps in weather as its done at 3 hour intervals.
    It does look like the jet stream is going to stall out, which usually means better/more stable weather especially for the west coast. It looks like up to August is a slightly improved more of the same, but early August looks really good for Ireland, S.west, N.west and wales .

Down here we remain totally independent of the weather forecasts. Strong colonies and regular batches of queens so that we can make the most of any breaks in the weather are the only things we've ever found effective.

Quote Originally Posted by The Drone Ranger View Post
    Anyone for tennis sorry I mean varroa control
    http://www.beeculture.com/winter-bee...l-combination/
    Not sure I get the tennis reference ... the article reads like an advert for MAQS, lifted from somewhere else which has resulted in the loss of the superscripts. To properly compare efficacy vs. Apistan they need to know the proportion of their mite population that was resistant.

MAQS usage appears to be only infrequently used in Scotland ... ~5% of all treatments reported to Peterson & Gray for 2014.

As an aside ... I recently re-read the MAQS instructions which includes the text "Do not destroy queen cells that may be observed prior to, or post treatment. Supercedure, even if thought to be set in motion by treatment, is a natural process, and should be allowed to proceed for the health of the colony. Verify queen-right one month after treatment. Mother and daughter queens present post treatment is not uncommon."

"the article reads like an advert for MAQS".

I read it as that too! Looks like an advertorial to me and that should be stated in the publication.

MAQS does kill varroa. It is also quite harsh on the bee colony and it's not nice to see bees crawling out of the hive and falling off the landing board to die on the grass which can also happen!

When MAQS were first introduced, I tried them, having frequently used formic acid evaporation to treat varroa in the past, and found it very effective. However, we found out the hard way that the recommended MAQS dosage is too high for many of our colonies (smaller over here in the wild west than many of you elsewhere, I guess) and we lost 2 queens along with some bees with those early treatments. So if you use them, use only one strip for smaller colonies and be sure they're on an open mesh floor ... not mentioned in the blurb as far as I recall.

Personally, if treatments are needed other than in mid-winter, I would prefer to go back to using my evaporators, with the usual protective precautions, as these allow me to alter the dosage for colonies of different sizes.

You missed Wimbledon then Fatshark
    I am not sure about MAQS but it is a possibility
    The main thing though is that if there is no treatment now then there might be losses later
    I use thymol but it can interfere with feeding and can stop wax building in its tracks
    The idea of using oxalic evaporation only works effectively in broodless periods
    You can use multiple treatment with evaporation (3 or 4 treatments 5 days apart)
    That's not practical with a varrox and lots of hives
    Amitraz I think is vet only
    So if it's Thymol then 4 weeks of treatment takes us to mid August and mesh floors need closing
    Sublimox anyone ?

Sent from my LIFETAB_S1034X using Tapatalk