Page 318 of 414 FirstFirst ... 218268308316317318319320328368 ... LastLast
Results 3,171 to 3,180 of 4137

Thread: todays news

This cold spell looks set to roll well into May, you guys won't see over 10°c much for the next 3 weeks at least. I need shares in Bako.
    At least we now know the answer to " will your bees swarm in May"

Still haven't looked into mine. The weather has just been too cold and windy. Now it seems we're in for another cold weather bashing.Worst spell of weather in the 30 years I've lived here.

One of those taking the beginners' course asked me yesterday when the difference between Summer and Winter bees becomes evident. Are Winter bees reared as such from the start, in the brood nest, or do the differences develop later, as adults.

For that matter, anyone able to share what the differences are? I know about more fat bodies ... anything else?

Quote Originally Posted by SDM View Post
    This cold spell looks set to roll well into May, you guys won't see over 10°c much for the next 3 weeks at least. I need shares in Bako.
    At least we now know the answer to " will your bees swarm in May"
    It does look like a long cold spell
    Inside the hive though (if they are not starving out) they will be raising more brood
    That's one of the problems when you if can't inspect because its too cold

Which means if we do get a warm patch all hell breaks loose and it's swarmaggedon ...

We had this last year (? memory a bit fuzzy) in the Midlands. An extended cool patch. You could open hives and find sealed QC's with the old queen still running about. Then the temperature rose and it was berserk for a couple of days.

DR ... you'll be pleased to know I've sourced some Snelgrove boards ... I nearly got exposure applying a coat or two of wood preservative to them on Saturday evening having spent the afternoon dodging hail showers in the hills. Brrr!

Is that vitellogelin or something Kate
    They are reared as Winter bees from September laying I believe
    The queen does lay small amounts sporadically in Winter though
    I think that's likely to be important by Spring

I'm glad to hear you are all organised Fatshark
    When you see drone brood its game on

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Calluna4u View Post
    the traditional seasonal warning from the NBU is very apt. It is being poo pooed by the usual suspects on 'other places' but its very timely in truth.
    I circulated the NBU warning to our association members last week. Some colonies could easily starve out with this week of cold weather coming up. A few litres of syrup is cheap insurance.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kate Atchley View Post
    One of those taking the beginners' course asked me yesterday when the difference between Summer and Winter bees becomes evident. Are Winter bees reared as such from the start, in the brood nest, or do the differences develop later, as adults.

For that matter, anyone able to share what the differences are? I know about more fat bodies ... anything else?
    I imagine almost all the winter bees have died off as colonies are on the second or third brood cycle by now.

Quote Originally Posted by The Drone Ranger View Post
    I'm glad to hear you are all organised Fatshark
    When you see drone brood its game on
    Just had a quick peek and seen my first play cups ... 8-9 frames of brood now on one of the hives in the shed.They've started putting a bit into the super but I'm going to have to put a second brood box on them ... once they've calmed down a bit, they're distinctly tetchy being opened on a day like today

PS and to reiterate some of the above ... stores were low so I've given them a full frame or so from my stocks
    Last edited by fatshark; 25-04-2016 at 12:54 PM. Reason: PS