Page 317 of 414 FirstFirst ... 217267307315316317318319327367 ... LastLast
Results 3,161 to 3,170 of 4137

Thread: todays news

Quote Originally Posted by The Drone Ranger View Post
    ... I would guess no the virgin wont mate

Possibly a new larva started now would be hoping for a mating flight in 3 weeks +
    Better but not that good either
    I agree DR ... it'd would be something of a miracle if she mates. I'm disinclined to graft until or unless there are advanced drone cells or drones in other colonies, and I have not seen them.

Your initial plan to put a frame of brood in might keep them ticking over till you can do something Kate

Senior Member Mellifera Crofter's Avatar
    Aberdeenshire, on top of a wind-swept and exposed hill.

I posted earlier today, but to the wrong thread. So, here again, just to report that I finally managed yesterday to inspect all the colonies that floated down the Deveron and found all the queens alive and well.
    Kitta

Quote Originally Posted by Mellifera Crofter View Post
    I posted earlier today, but to the wrong thread. So, here again, just to report that I finally managed yesterday to inspect all the colonies that floated down the Deveron and found all the queens alive and well.
    Kitta
    I saw that Kitta and rejoiced for you and your bees. What amazing creatures these are!

Horrible smell in the apiary............
    feared the worst ? foulbrood

turned out to be a dead fox a foot away from one of the hives
    What a relief!

Quote Originally Posted by EK.Bee View Post
    feared the worst ? foulbrood

What a relief!
    foulbrute ?

Quote Originally Posted by EK.Bee View Post

Ugh, it's a truly revolting smell. There's one beneath a neighbour's summerhouse, not getatable without dismantling the building so it can't be moved or covered with soil. We're all hoping it will have finished decaying before the warmer weather gives us the chance to use our gardens for relaxation.

Were out checking bees this morning. There was so much nectar midweek that we started supering in some locations. However, then we came across a couple of groups (from the same wintering group that the ones with all the nectar had been in) that were at the point of starvation. SHARP attention needed to this factor while this cold spell persists. They are wolfing their stores now as the brood area sharply increases, and the traditional seasonal warning from the NBU is very apt. It is being poo pooed by the usual suspects on 'other places' but its very timely in truth. Not all groups of hives are so lucky as to have perfect forage and genetics from bee heaven (You know the ones...they pull in abundant pollen and nectar at 5C with no flowers to get at. Very dangerous tripe when read by beginners who think that normal and stop looking.).

Timely warning I Supered half of mine last week and went round them today to distribute the leftover fondant to make sure these big hives don't starve, it's a challanging climate to keep bees

Same here checking nucs today
    More brood less food
    lots of pollen going in though