Page 305 of 414 FirstFirst ... 205255295303304305306307315355405 ... LastLast
Results 3,041 to 3,050 of 4137

Thread: todays news

Fife and Angus beekeepers might be interested in BBC's Open Country on the River Tay which includes discussion of the monks of Lindores Abbey who planted what are now the Newburgh orchards.

Quote Originally Posted by fatshark View Post
    That brief glimpse of sunshine reminded me I'll be grafting in as little as 4-5 months For those of us who needed the braille version of "Grafting for queen rearing" I discovered these rather trendy goggles on the BangGood site that DR has been advocating in the DIY thread ... de rigeur for any queen rearing course you run in 2016

Attachment 2531
    Reminds me of Blade Runner with the eyeballs and the spooky little guy

Its raining not training that has my attention
    It's back on again
    (just after I put some tarmac repair down )
    Last edited by The Drone Ranger; 09-01-2016 at 02:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Drone Ranger View Post
    Reminds me of Blade Runner with the eyeballs and the spooky little guy
    Hannibal Chew: Don't know, I don't know such stuff. I just do eyes, ju-, ju-, just eyes... just genetic design, just eyes. You Nexus, huh? I design your eyes.
    Batty: Chew, if only you could see what I've seen with your eyes!

Great film

I'm well aware of the rain ... just got in from having my arm down a freezing blocked drain. Brrrr.

A review of the film raised an interesting question
    Was "The attack ships on fire......." speech based on real or implanted memory
    When I try and answer that, Confirmation Bias gets in the way, as it does in so many things

Sent from my LIFETAB_S1034X using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by fatshark View Post
    Fife and Angus beekeepers might be interested in BBC's Open Country on the River Tay which includes discussion of the monks of Lindores Abbey who planted what are now the Newburgh orchards.
    Cracking wee programme, all the sites described are within a km or two of apiaries (in one case a planned apiary) of mine.

Senior Member Mellifera Crofter's Avatar
    Aberdeenshire, on top of a wind-swept and exposed hill.

My bees floated up and down the Deveron. I'm gutted, and feel very, very guilty because it was my fault. I should have moved them long ago. I had moved half of the apiary, but left six hoping to find a good site nearby on higher ground, but left it too late ...

When I arrived yesterday at the apiary, the site was empty! I found two hives on their sides upstream in the middle of a field (because the river just there was a huge whirlpool), and three downstream, over a wire fence and up a hill. Those three were still strapped to their stands. Two of them landed upright, with gravel bags still in place, and a tall one got trapped on the fence - but I lost one colony. All the bees in the five surviving hives are alive - but I'll find out in spring whether the I lost any of the queens.

The two on the field are back home with me now, but the three on the hill are still there. The local farmer will help me to move them once the ground has dried up a bit.

Kitta

IMG_20160110_110737.jpg IMG_20160110_120622.jpg IMG_20160110_143220.jpg IMG_20160110_143406.jpg

Had a bad flood incident about three years back when over 40 got washed away and were mostly stuck in a wood a little downwind (they floated and the wind pushed them that way). It was amazing how many survived. Don't give up on the missing one yet....it may well turn up. At this time of year they should have been in tight cluster and the cold water will just have made them go even tighter.......so I would bet the majority come through remarkably fine. Being poly is the crucial positive here.....wood would probably have lacked the buoyancy.

Was up at Monymusk yesterday checking the wintering groups, and all were fine. Not even a dislodged roof, and every single one we checked was just fine and looked just perfect for the spring to come.

Senior Member Mellifera Crofter's Avatar
    Aberdeenshire, on top of a wind-swept and exposed hill.

Thanks C4U. I'm going back tomorrow to search some more for the lost colony. Compared to forty colonies, I was lucky I had only six colonies there and found five of them.

Blog Entries

Hope it goes well Kitta. They can be remarkably resilient. I've had gales blow hives right over, scattering boxes and leaving exposed frames upside down. They still survived.

Wow Kitta ! Glad you got the five back and I'm sure the sixth will turn up. I never saw the Deveron on the news last week, it was all Port Elphinstone and Ellon.

Good luck.