Page 303 of 414 FirstFirst ... 203253293301302303304305313353403 ... LastLast
Results 3,021 to 3,030 of 4137

Thread: todays news

Someone recently was telling me about a commercial bee farmer who used a stainless steel spade to cut fondant
    I haven't tried this personally
    I was going to try a cheese wire last year but misplaced it
    washing up gloves or blue nitrile gloves stop things getting too nessy

Warming the hard fondant in a microwave for a few seconds will soften it, obviously not a full block unless you happen to have a large microwave, but cut the hard way in half, then microwave, makes cutting or molding the rest into smaller pieces very easy.

I use an uncapping knife to cut large blocks and re-wrap with the blue polythene. For small pieces to go into takeaway containers I just pull handfulls of fondant apart and drop it into the box, it levels out in no time. I tried wearing gloves once, but the gloves stuck themselves together and made it a million times worse.

I make fondant 1 kilo sugar 300 mls water . Kneaded then slipped into resealable freezer bags !
    With washed and dried hands you can knead/ shape/ store and feed with minimum fuss!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by EK.Bee View Post
    Someone recently was telling me about a commercial bee farmer who used a stainless steel spade to cut fondant
    I haven't tried this personally
    I was going to try a cheese wire last year but misplaced it
    washing up gloves or blue nitrile gloves stop things getting too nessy
    Might have been me.

The spade is not stainless, just new or even very clean.

Couple of things to take note of.

1. If the fondant is a bit hard you can drop the block from height onto a stone or concrete floor and the shock waves passing through the block immediately soften it.
    2. As stated elsewhere, leave the blue wrapper on, and score it all round with a sharp knife on the lines you wish to make the cuts. (Not essential, just makes it easier)
    3. Keep the spade in a bucket of hot water.
    4. Cut the fondant with the spade. It goes through it like butter.
    5. Bag the pieces in HD poly bags.

Ready to go out.

Takes two men a couple of hours (depends on any other difficulties) to cut and bag about a tonne. Cheap carrier bags are best, if the bags are a little tight for size they are far slower to use as the cut face sticks to the bag.

Final instalment of the apiary rents for 2015 dropped off, always a satisfying moment but I doubt that it'll seem like the blink of an eye before we're dropping off our first installment for 2016 at easter time.

081.jpg098.jpg115.jpg

....and plenty of honey too!!

Blog Entries

Lovely work, and nice to see your new avatar in more detail. The wax bowl is interesting, haven't seen that before.

I was out this afternoon (in heavy sleet) delivering my rents too. Just the usual sticky stuff, ling, bell and some of that highly prized local lime honey.

Lovely sunny afternoon here. Spent some time with one farmer discussing the masses of daffodils which are already showing yellow.

Nice Christmas trees prakel. I too was out delivering bottled gifts - I'm running out of everything other than the rather odd flavoured clear stuff. That's been an add on ... "and see whether you like this as well ... a bit of an acquired taste"

Happy Christmas all.

Quote Originally Posted by fatshark View Post
    Nice Christmas trees prakel
    Quote Originally Posted by gavin View Post
    Lovely work, and nice to see your new avatar in more detail. The wax bowl is interesting, haven't seen that before.
    They all originate from a German company 'Hobby Kreation'. We bought a lot when Thornes discontinued the range and have continued to add direct from the manufacturer. Very high quality moulds and a superb range.

To be honest we don't get enough use out of them but it's nice to have a wide choice of 'extras' when it comes to distributing the apiary rents; we always do two a year plus the odd jar or comb through the summer. As of 2016 I've decided to add a third 'harvest' installment around michaelmas too. I see paying the rents as an ongoing bonding process where we have chance to speak to the landowners who we might otherwise not see all year. Calculated, but enjoyable .