Page 289 of 414 FirstFirst ... 189239279287288289290291299339389 ... LastLast
Results 2,881 to 2,890 of 4137

Thread: todays news

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Hi Drone you need to get into the 21st century. What you need is an app for your iPhone or iPad that triggers your timer so that you can do your sublimation from the house while drinking the tea.
    It can be done I as am currently getting my phone to talk to my camera remotely to take photos

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Hi Jimbo
    I know
    I'm a dinosaur at heart really

Peterborough, and into the flatlands to the north and east ...

Quote Originally Posted by The Drone Ranger View Post
    Hi Jimbo
    I know
    I'm a dinosaur at heart really
    In which case, the Victorian teasmade here is probably ideally suited to a quick modification to make it also trigger your sublimator as it brews you a cuppa.

Of course, I'm not sure if it is safer by the hive, or by the clockwork and meths powered beast!

Quote Originally Posted by Wmfd View Post
    In which case, the Victorian teasmade here is probably ideally suited to a quick modification to make it also trigger your sublimator as it brews you a cuppa.

Of course, I'm not sure if it is safer by the hive, or by the clockwork and meths powered beast!
    Look at the quality of workmanship in that teasmaid
    I want one
    God forbid we ever see a Chinese version being produced

cover_nature.jpg
    Bee research makes the front cover of Nature yesterday ... with evidence that beekeepers have been irritating their spouses for thousands of years by leaving wax residues all over the kitchen.

Actually, it catalogues the evidence for wax residues in pottery shards from archeological sites and demonstrates that humans have exploited bee products for at least 9000 years (i.e. the beginning of agriculture). The absence of residues from anywhere in Britain other than Southern/Eastern England suggests the presence of an ecological limit for honeybees at that time. Nothing in Finland either, though Denmark is well represented. The sites in England with detectable beeswax traces date back to 6000 years ago, suggesting bees were present then (or there were imports ).
    Last edited by fatshark; 13-11-2015 at 12:30 PM. Reason: Link to full article added

Look at what has happened to the teasmade its been hybridised with an alarm clock

teasmade.jpeg
    The Victorians new better that's why they didn't have a buggy whip or some such irrelevance on the original

Re the pottery Fatshark could we blame the Romans or was it too early for them ?

Fatshark said "sites in England with detectable beeswax traces date back to 6000 years ago" - So without email and a good post office, which tribe would have brought their local bees?

Re the pottery Fatshark could we blame the Romans or was it too early for them ?
    We could blame them. After all, what did they ever do for us? But we'd be wrong ... a few thousand years before then.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by fatshark View Post
    The sites in England with detectable beeswax traces date back to 6000 years ago, suggesting bees were present then (or there were imports ).
    In Scotland we just turned most of the honey crop into alcoholic beverages, then scraped up as much of the wax as we could find to make candles to light those long dark nights . None left over for sealing pots and jugs.

Seriously though, folk collected bumble bee nectar on a regular basis. I have a book describing the practice (wee laddies were usually responsible) in Wester Ross in Victorian times. Wax is in there too - are the researchers really sure it is honeybee wax in their pot shards? Same applies to the pollen deposits in containers in archaeological finds, could be bumble bee derived.

Look at what has happened to the teasmade its been hybridised with an alarm clock

teasmade.jpeg
    The Victorians new better that's why they didn't have a buggy whip or some such irrelevance on the original
    The Victorian version is a thing of beauty, whereas that's a lump of plastic, probably safer but not an item to take pleasure in.

Quote Originally Posted by gavin View Post
    Seriously though, folk collected bumble bee nectar on a regular basis. I have a book describing the practice (wee laddies were usually responsible) in Wester Ross in Victorian times. Wax is in there too - are the researchers really sure it is honeybee wax in their pot shards? Same applies to the pollen deposits in containers in archaeological finds, could be bumble bee derived.
    Is there enough nectar in a bumble bee nest to make it worthwhile? I've no idea how much you'd find in one.

Having said that, I would have thought, perhaps wrongly, that robbing a bumble nest would be less likely to end in tears.