Page 286 of 414 FirstFirst ... 186236276284285286287288296336386 ... LastLast
Results 2,851 to 2,860 of 4137

Thread: todays news

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Calluna4u View Post
    As seen abroad....
    Drill a hole in the front of the hive the diameter of a piece of domestic water pipe (seen both copper and plastic used), cut a short length of the pipe and glue it into the hole. Using the sublimator pipe blow it in through the hole. Plug the hole with bit of cork or wood to await next round.
    I'm impressed! With the typing I mean ... poor C4U has been in the wars and by rights we should expect fairly monosyllabic posts for the time being.

Quote Originally Posted by fatshark View Post
    They should. It's unpleasant stuff... I use an approved 3M particle mask and enclosing goggles. I also stand upwind and try to ensure the hive is sealed so all the 'goodness' goes to the mites, not the operator.

There's data on effectiveness in papers cited by Randy Oliver on scientificbeekeeping.com (perhaps here)...
    Thanks for this fatshark. I will use my protective mask, goggles, gloves and clothing (why would you not) but passive vaporising of the Varrox type (heating acid inside the hive) has less risks than using a vaporiser with a fan which blows the mist from a tube (from outside the hive). Quoting fatshark's useful reference: "The passive models are inherently safer, since no vapors are blown outside the hive."

So I'll continue to puzzle out ways to use without damage to any of the polynucs or polyhives.
    Last edited by Kate Atchley; 07-11-2015 at 09:45 AM.

Hi Kate
    I have a Scott Pro2 facemask with suitable filters something like this
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SCOTT-resp...8AAOSwT6pVulgA
    I'm not recommending this seller or anything just an illustration

They make them in large,medium and small and the filters are replaceable
    For anyone reading the thread please note though the sort of facemask sold in B&Q for plastering or carpentry dust is useless for the job
    you need filters which are for vapour and gas from acids A1B1E1K1 in this case

Always being upwind is best though unless you want to look like an extra on a Doctor Who set
    Last edited by The Drone Ranger; 07-11-2015 at 01:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kate Atchley View Post
    So I'll continue to puzzle out ways to use without damage to any of the polynucs or polyhives.
    I've not used a sublimator, but if I was to and on a polyhive I think I would create some form of wooden sub floor/stand from wood to go under the varroa floor. Or adapt the hive stand to facilitate usage of the sublimator.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Thanks for this fatshark. I will use my protective mask, goggles, gloves and clothing (why would you not) but passive vaporising of the Varrox type (heating acid inside the hive) has less risks than using a vaporiser with a fan which blows the mist from a tube (from outside the hive). Quoting fatshark's useful reference: "The passive models are inherently safer, since no vapors are blown outside the hive."
    Hmmm ... although I gave that reference I'm not entirely in agreement with the statement. Both active and passive vaporisers will produce a 'fog' of OA crystals inside the hive. The 'active' model I've got (Sublimox) is inserted into the hive before inverting it. The inversion drops the OA (oops, I meant Api-Bioxal ) into the heating pan. If used correctly, this type of active vaporiser does not blow vapours outside the hive, though a few wisps inevitably escape from poor seals.

So still best to take care.

What is difference between API-BIOXOL and O.A apart from the HUGELY inflated price ?.

youtube has many videos of OA vaporising some of which are alarming in their neglect of safety – this one for instance using a Varrox vaporiser (from England?): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KOlHJO4VgQ. Curiously, the explanation of why he's not wearing a mask (or gloves or eye protection) has been cut or he stopped talking at that point.

This one shows a vaporiser which pumps the vapour into the hive but with more care being taken: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NoYE2FA6_U

I enjoy watching Don The Fat Man who is here doing his customary unprotected beekeeping: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQp9pdAOjdo. He makes strong claims for the treatment.

Loads more there to explore but few where folk are taking sufficient precautions.
    Last edited by Kate Atchley; 08-11-2015 at 12:19 PM.

Curiously, the explanation of why he's not wearing a mask (or gloves or eye protection) has been cut or he stopped talking at that point.

reading this I fell about laughing, with a mental picture of him being carried off the set

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GRIZZLY View Post
    What is difference between API-BIOXOL and O.A apart from the HUGELY inflated price ?.
    Api-Bioxal is pre-weighed, legal and *very* expensive .... whereas a packet of oxalic acid crystals is very much cheaper and is illegal if used to treat Varroa. That's about it. From their website it looks like Thorne have stopped selling generic oxalic acid but most of us have a packet or two to last a lifetime in the cupboard.

Quote Originally Posted by gavin View Post
    From their website it looks like Thorne have stopped selling generic oxalic acid but most of us have a packet or two to last a lifetime in the cupboard.
    Maisimore are still selling it and some other ready made oxalic liquid treatment...plus Api-bioxal.

http://www.bees-online.co.uk/categories.asp?Sector_ID=7