Results 2,661 to 2,670 of 4137

Thread: todays news

I'm Off Topic again
    Heres todays news
    IMGP0892.jpg
    Thats wasps drilling their way into my Paynes poly nuc to get the syrup
    They have some way to go yet
    No I didn't spill the syrup
    For some reason two of the nucs seem to be bit porous in the feed slot department
    Keeping the blighters busy and they are so easy to squash
    Mrs DR helpfully pointed out I should have painted them

DR:

My interest was raised by your comment that this method would be easier than starting the cells in a broodless box and then moving them above an excluder for finishing (Pasaga Ramic). There are other aspects of the suggested method (such as the absolute need to keep a check on all of the combs for rogue cells) which makes me think that it's probably more involved than the sales pitch suggests!

Quote Originally Posted by The Drone Ranger View Post
    Err Jon's your man ask him Lol!
    Well, all are welcome to chime in when it comes to increasing my understanding of what it is I'm trying to do .

Blog Entries

Prakel. If you take a queen out of a strong colony and put in a frame with grafts 10 minutes later they usually start a lot of them.
    I think the orientation of the cup is the key factor, ie they look like cups from which queen cells will be drawn.
    They have hundreds of suitable age larvae of their own and they will start a few from these but they seem to prefer the cups on the graft frame.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Yep. just remove a queen and insert a frame of grafts from the same colony or any other and you will get plenty started..
    Jon, I see that you and Drone Ranger regard my method as over-complicated — though it's a minor variant on using a Cloake board — but perhaps I was not clear. I've used exactly the same method for each batch of cells this Summer, with success of around 66% fed/drawn queen cells overall. This latest batch led to only one cell.

I don't know of an explanation other than weather and colony strength: the early days of these cells' development (or failure) brought more wet days of 11C or 12C as through most of May and June. Though breeding colonies are fed, their brood boxes remain light and empty of retained stores. Amongst the Amm bees we're managing, there are no "strong" or "decent" colonies this year, as I understand the term ... only colonies making a remarkably good job of coping with extraordinarily difficult conditions.

Perhaps in such conditions breeder colonies need to be run with constant feeders and no supers, and extra pollen and/or substitute (though my bees seem to dislike pollen substitutes). I had some spare pollen but it's been used already. Maybe that approach would lead to better success with the queen raising.

It's certainly been sunnier and milder in the east of Scotland ... perhaps also in Ireland?
    Last edited by Kate Atchley; 31-07-2015 at 10:22 PM.

Blog Entries

Kate, I was not thinking about your methods at all when I mentioned over complicated stuff. I was thinking about some of the stuff I have read over the years in the Bibba magazine. Most of the Irish bee breeders I know are big fans of the Cloake board. I was only responding to DR's post about removing a queen from a colony. There are lots of ways to get queen cells started.
    I always share what works for me with others on the forum.
    Last edited by Jon; 31-07-2015 at 10:17 PM.

DR wasps and polynucs, a tub of petroleum jelly is a good short term fix for stopping the wasps digging holes in soft poly

Quote Originally Posted by Kate Atchley View Post
    Jon, I see that you and Drone Ranger regard my method as over-complicated
    Steady the Buffs
    Kate I apologise if you think I am casting dispersions on your no doubt well researched method
    I honestly have no Idea what the ragu punic method involves (clearly)

What I will say in my defense is that the first two sets of queens I raised this year were using a cupkit in a Ben Harden queenright system
    They both worked fine apart from some disappearances and mating failures at the mininuc stage which reduced the numbers by about 50%

As the season moved forward and Oil Seed Rape disappeared they lost interest in raising queencells in a queen right colony

So now I dequeened two colonies one Smith double broodbox and one paynes nuc double broodbox
    I also set up another double broodbox Smith hive queenright Ben Harden style using a third box on top

Now before dequeening the Poly Nuc the queen was put in a cupkit and it took a day for her to lay (it was overnight the first two times)
    Those eggs became larva and went on cell bar in that now queenless double poly nuc got 18 starts from 20

Also using cupkit larva the queenless Smith hive had 18 starts from 20
    Those all made sealed queencells (which I fiddled with too much and lost the lot)
    So then I grafted into that hive and it was 7 starts from 10 (unusually high for me)
    That reduced to 5 after a few days

The queen right Ben Harden Smith triple hive not so good
    I put 10 cupkit larva in no starts
    I grafted into it next no starts
    Tried one more time no starts
    So at that point in the season using that hive I was wasting my time

It's probably horses for courses. So early season the queenright method was best and mid season the queenless method was best
    It could be weather related or to do with passing the longest day and how the bees feel about that
    My post is just part question part suggestion
    Added refinements and complications are sometimes just that, and don't always get any better results
    Hope the next lot are all 100 success
    DR

Today I've put out all but 4 of 42 cells from my last grafft of the season, cloak board's put away and cell builders being cleared of supers ready for thymol, one of them was showing a bit of varroa damage. 4 cells that didn't get placed are in the airing cupboard, I must invest in a proper incubator. That's 12 rounds of grafts, two frames of twenty odd cells each time, failures are being got by the wasps now so a good time to start winding it all up.

Quote Originally Posted by nemphlar View Post
    DR wasps and polynucs, a tub of petroleum jelly is a good short term fix for stopping the wasps digging holes in soft poly
    Cheers Nemphlar for that solution
    Most welcome answer to an annoying problem

Between flappy top crown boards
    Dodgy bee squashing fat sides
    No flippin frame rails
    Bee munching and now wasp munching

I'm going right off poly hives

Quote Originally Posted by mbc View Post
    4 cells that didn't get placed are in the airing cupboard, I must invest in a proper incubator.
    Excellent plan to convince Mrs mbc that an incubator should be on the Xmas list