Page 265 of 414 FirstFirst ... 165215255263264265266267275315365 ... LastLast
Results 2,641 to 2,650 of 4137

Thread: todays news

Blog Entries

Yes, 60 mites in 300 bees is a bit high and thats what I'm afraid of, as soon as the brood nest shrinks those mites will be competing for the brood resulting in a load of deformed wings in the autumn and colony collapse, and this bad weather means that fewer mites will be lost in the field

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by busybeephilip View Post
    Yes, 60 mites in 300 bees is a bit high and thats what I'm afraid of, as soon as the brood nest shrinks those mites will be competing for the brood resulting in a load of deformed wings in the autumn and colony collapse, and this bad weather means that fewer mites will be lost in the field
    Sure is! Depending who you ask the recommended treatment threshold is either 3+ or 6+.
    Randy Oliver has a load of stuff about mite counting on his site.
    Lots of mine had a mite count in the 20s for the 300 bee sample.
    All looks ok at the moment but a lot of those would collapse in the autumn if treatment did not take place in August.

Quote Originally Posted by Mellifera Crofter View Post
    I changed a colony from a Paynes hive to a Bee Hive Supplies hive recently. The BHS hive has a kind of porch entrance rather than a straight walk-into entrance as in a Paynes, and this is a picture of how I found them this morning. I don't know whether it means they just like sitting around outside under the shelter of the porch; or whether they feel they ought to be there to better guard the hive as the actual entrance is now a bit hidden; or whether the entrance became too congested for them all to go inside (and I should be worried). They did not do this in the Paynes.
    Kitta
    Attachment 2349
    I 've seen this numerous times on this hive. I'm inclined to think it may be that bees loiter in warmer entrances. In our PIR hives the entrance tunnels are always well occupied by bees. In fact it can take some work to get them all out. Why ? Defence or even heat retention I.e. The hives insulating walls are the other sides of the cluster? but this behaviour seems limited to only very well insulated hives with certain entrances.

Senior Member Mellifera Crofter's Avatar
    Aberdeenshire, on top of a wind-swept and exposed hill.

Quote Originally Posted by derekm View Post
    ... I'm inclined to think it may be that bees loiter in warmer entrances. ...
    Thanks Derek - I'll stop worrying then. They just like hanging out on the 'stoep'. I wish my own house on my wild hill had a stoep like that.
    Kitta

Quote Originally Posted by Kate Atchley View Post
    Having said that, we plan to buy from Simonthebeekeeper for visitor suits for the Amm apiary. Remarkable value and reasonably well made.
    I have one of his lightweight suits bought for helping out
    My beat up old BB wear jacket stays at home (bio security)
    The fencing veil needs a hat underneath or you will get stung on the head
    £35 but not recommended
    Its predecessor was from Solway bees and the hood zip jammed on day one and Mrs DR had to repair it
    They had stitched a straight zip in a circle by putting a few kinks in it Again about £30
    Not so many stings got through that one though
    Last edited by The Drone Ranger; 30-07-2015 at 10:35 AM.

Grafted in my usual way on Sunday and switched boxes round Monday (per Pasaga Ramic). Took a quick look at the cell-raising frame and this curtain of bees looked good: see pic ...

P1010925.jpeg

Today found one solitary cell being drawn from 16, and that one not yet quite capped, so slow. Bees well fed with syrup.

The weather has continued to be cold and wet and the bees seem to have gone on queen-raising strike. Should I give up or try again if the conditions improve? Very disheartening.
    Last edited by Kate Atchley; 31-07-2015 at 02:58 AM.

Are you using the Cloake board method or a queenless cell raiser Kate
    I googled Pasaga Ramic and came up with a list of Indian Restaurants

Quote Originally Posted by The Drone Ranger View Post
    Are you using the Cloake board method or a queenless cell raiser Kate
    I googled Pasaga Ramic and came up with a list of Indian Restaurants
    Prakel wrote about this last year and uses it successfully. Try Googling <Elgon/Pasaga Ramic method>. It's here in the Forum in "Queen raising 2014" where Prakel gave references on 04.07.2014:

"There are blog entries describing the method by Erik Osterlund here (http://www.elgon.es/diary/?p=167) and more recent follow ups here (http://www.elgon.es/diary/?p=498) and here (http://www.elgon.es/diary/?p=502)."

Quote Originally Posted by Kate Atchley View Post
    The weather has continued to be cold and wet and the bees seem to have gone on queen-raising strike. Should I give up or try again if the conditions improve? Very disheartening.
    Assuming a need for more queens/wish to further tweak your system I reckon it's worth the effort to continue but the final results will as always rest totally with the bees.The one thing we can't do is force them to produce good queens -although there appears to be a growing group who believe that bees always make good queens and they can even spout reference to spurious research that proves the fact; unfortunately, no matter how many times they're asked for a link it's never forthcoming (beyond .... "so and so said it exists"). But that's an entirely different hobby horse which I plan to corral during the winter months.

...So, if they only want to rear one that might actually be a better investment of your resources than a dozen which haven't received quite the same attention. If drones are still looking good and there's a chance of improved weather then the odds might be with you but the weather's always the biggest gamble we take. I think the main cost of queen rearing is at the mating nuc end of the programme -a failed cell builder costs little compared to a dozen failed nucs.
    Last edited by prakel; 31-07-2015 at 08:57 AM.

Blog Entries

The weather looks better for queen mating from next week.