Page 252 of 414 FirstFirst ... 152202242250251252253254262302352 ... LastLast
Results 2,511 to 2,520 of 4137

Thread: todays news

Blog Entries

Yes there is a small market for it.

I bought a nice pollen trap a lot of years ago from thornes, really well made in cedar 18 inch square with a big drawer at the back. Like you I got lots of pollen BUT...soon discovered that the hive stopped building up and went into early decline the reason being that it was being starved of pollen so dont keep the trap on the whole time. Not sure if the CSI project takes this into consideration ?

Blog Entries

I am collecting pollen at Minnowburn for the CSI project. The traps are left on for 1-3 days at 3 week intervals.
    I am using the Thorne 'fairweather' traps which are not so good but you usually get enough for a sample.

Blog Entries

Yeh, its amazing all the different colors that you get.

Blog Entries

I am getting 5 or 6 pollen types on average.

Quote Originally Posted by greengumbo View Post
    What can I do with pollen other than make patties next spring ? Must be a market for it somewhere ! Gourmet foodie types ?
    I was at one of those 'health food/organic-type cafes on Sunday where they were selling pollen in jars for £££ … can't remember what I'm afraid, but they had some very ordinary honey for £7.15/lb on the same shelf if I remember correctly.

When I set up the Ben Harden queen rearing upper box I often just use a frame of drawn comb sprinkled liberally with pollen (by which I mean a few tablespoons full of the stuff) facing the grafted queens. It all goes …

What about this stuff on eBay … which appears to be collected by a very hoverfly-looking bee
    Last edited by fatshark; 26-05-2015 at 01:00 PM. Reason: eBay link

Quote Originally Posted by fatshark View Post
    I was at one of those 'health food/organic-type cafes on Sunday where they were selling pollen in jars for £££ … can't remember what I'm afraid, but they had some very ordinary honey for £7.15/lb on the same shelf if I remember correctly.

When I set up the Ben Harden queen rearing upper box I often just use a frame of drawn comb sprinkled liberally with pollen (by which I mean a few tablespoons full of the stuff) facing the grafted queens. It all goes …

What about this stuff on eBay … which appears to be collected by a very hoverfly-looking bee
    I am going to try my first grafts of the season this weekend so will pop some pollen in the upper box as you describe FS

I even prepared and got some lovely paintbrushes as described on some blog

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by fatshark View Post

What about this stuff on eBay
    The page won't open here because of "legal restrictions in certain countries" !!!!!!!!

Apparently pollen can be taken on a regular basis to help prevent prostate problems. Considering the general age of beekeepers.................

Quote Originally Posted by greengumbo View Post
    I even prepared and got some lovely paintbrushes as described on some blog
    You don't want to go believing everything you read on the web young man

Got back from Fife late last night where I left hundreds of scouts exploring my bait hive … here's hoping I've got a result when I return. My first grafts of the year have just gone into nucs for mating … the latest I've started for four or five years I reckon.

Quote Originally Posted by chris View Post
    The page won't open here because of "legal restrictions in certain countries" !!!!!!!!
    Here's the image from the eBay item … do these weird Spanish bees get into France as well Chris?

Natural_Bee_Pollen_Granules_-_Nature_s_Complete_Food_-_Harvested_From_Spain___eBay.jpg

Jackson Pollock(s) … spent the morning enthusiastically painting poly nucs with my new HVLP spray gun. So enthusiastic on the first coat that I forgot to put a sheet down first to catch the overspray …

20150530-08-2.jpg

… which, since I'm red/green colourblind, looks just fine A marked improvement on using a brush - a dozen poly nucs, floors, bodies and roofs - in an hour or so per coat. Once I'd worked out how much to thin the paint. And only about two hours to clean up afterwards

20150530-10-7.jpg