Page 250 of 414 FirstFirst ... 150200240248249250251252260300350 ... LastLast
Results 2,491 to 2,500 of 4137

Thread: todays news

Blog Entries

Yes!!

Blog Entries

First Apidea of the year is in play. Not from any deliberate QR attempts on my part, my bees remain in a bit of a state (now down to one sad Nuc that refuses to expand and a queen less national), but I helped a friend attend a swarm call this afternoon, trotted up skep in hand to the smallest swarm I think I've ever seen. In the end we collected them in a 1/2 litre milk carton with the lid cut off and, for want of something better to do with them, transferred them into an apidea when I got home

So today I now have 3 cast swarms to add to my collection of colonies without a laying queen, who said beekeeping could ever get dull. I've got three massive fields of OSR literally next door and a bunch of hives that between then couldn't fill a frame with honey I shall keep fingers crossed for some nice weather this weekend to get some time to figure out just what I've actually got, though I suspect at the moment if I just combined the lot I might just about have a half decent hive of bees, maybe even with a laying queen .

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    You are all spending too much time looking at the Thorne catalogue.

Hawthorn is spelt like this hawthorn, hawthorn, hawthorn!
    Whoops.

And potato is potatoe. (Or was that US Vice President who spelled it like that? (Dan Quayle I recall - he - allegedly - also had a mickey mouse watch)...

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Anything in the first half of May is a bonus.
    They don't always get mated in time if you start too early which is a shame. For my first lot that emerged on 10/11 May there's a better than evens chance that they will go up and mate OK - although my girls need warmer weather than perhaps the darkies do. Generally 20 degrees - and we lose out on the coast sometimes being cooler during the day. I need a mating apiary 10 or 20 miles inland.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mbc View Post
    I think you'll find "draenen wen" is the correct spelling.....
    some might argue "sceach gheal "

I'm in awe of the weight of honey-filled supers prakel has been keeping quiet about … bits of the Jurassic Coast are so weighed down they're about to fall into the sea

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-32780736

respect

shhh.... we don't want the continental fishing trawlers strapping hives to their decks in search of a double harvest!

Back from abroad at last (great to have news of conditions back home while I was away!), & got the last two colonies checked yesterday - highest recorded temperature over 16 degrees!! Uncomfortably hot, to me, and well above what the bees seem to need for foraging
    All colonies expanding, variable quantities of drone brood, according to nest size & temperament*, but no other swarm prep bar a few unpolished, eggless queen cups. Phew. Stores ranging between sufficient and comfortable - several nearby fields are suddenly blazing with OSR, the swathes of green alkanet and figwort are still popular, & the bees are earning their keep by rampaging over all the apple trees. Lovely. Quite a bit of new comb being built, too: there's clearly a decent amount of nectar coming in, despite the cool and the rain.
    Compared with some other recent posts I'm feeling really lucky, so far...
    Emma
    (*They're all on wild comb broodnests, so they get to raise as many boys as they like... Gives me a complicated but interesting life.)

Mystery honey. Bees arriving back to the hive with faces covered in bright yellow pollen . The wax comb is chrome yellow and the honey it contains is bright yellow , with a not very pleasant taste. It also has a quite unpleasant smell. It's got me puzzled., anyone got any ideas as to its identification please.