Page 236 of 414 FirstFirst ... 136186226234235236237238246286336 ... LastLast
Results 2,351 to 2,360 of 4137

Thread: todays news

Quote Originally Posted by mbc View Post
    but there are plenty of smaller operations which do not buy in bees or queens, ever, and yet they remain in business and somehow the crazed enthusiasts at the helm make a living.
    Oh yes indeed. But.......Some of those making the strongest statements that way also buy bees.......from me. All to be kept hush hush apart from to the authorities. Even as I finished at Perth a few months ago, when the vote to ask for an import ban to be explored was passed, at least three of those I KNOW had their hands up to support it spoke to me quietly even before we left the venue, they wanted packages, and several more of them wanted queens. The imported ones of course. Secret layby rendezvous after meeting so no-one sees etc etc...........you would be very surprised...especially at some of the names that buy queens.

If your living depends on it you cannot take heavy losses.....and they sometimes happen despite the best of care...................followed by tiny crops for a year or two..........which also happens.............unless you have outside support.

But then maybe most do not give a jot about the widespread availability of UK honey, or the fact that even some of the bigger bee farmers have to get tax credits. The local bee is tough, but mostly its a survivor rather than a living earner.

You cannot rely on our weather....hence we are going for a twin track approach, maximise our own breeding effort, but have emergency supplies available to top up with.

I think the black bee movement are too closely following eachother and deciding on that basis that the demand is there, and that is what everyone wants, but as I told people last year, I managed to obtain a supply of very nice A.m.m., because, as is so obvious, everyone wants it. However when there were orders for 1200 Buckfast and carnica, and only 70 A.m.m., and I suffered the embarrassment of having to cancel bees from a great source because not enough people wanted them. I had been assured demand was huge.

Bees oot and on the last of the crocus today

Anyone have bees flying at 930 that rushed back in during eclipse ? Hear it happens during sudden thunderstorms if the bees are out foraging.

Bees are devouring pollen patties at the moment and a peek between frames showed at least one frame had a big patch of sealed brood.
    Last edited by greengumbo; 20-03-2015 at 05:02 PM. Reason: spelling

Blog Entries

After moving my last 2 hives to their new site yesterday, it's time to have a wee peek in each hive to check everything's ok. One hive I moved yesterday had an unwelcome lodging mouse which the bees killed and I got rid of it from the floorboard which made them much happier. Its a lovely day here so planning to check the frames away from where the cluster is to replace any damaged ones. Not sure if there is anything else I should do to get rid of anything nasty that the mouse could have done / left behind?
    A tip for anyone moving bees with an open mesh floor- put a couple of new drawing pins in the back of the floor to hold the mesh in place just in case the old drawing pins choose the journey to break and let the bees out!
    Last edited by EmsE; 22-03-2015 at 09:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by EmsE View Post
    A tip for anyone moving bees with an open mesh floor- put a couple of new drawing pins in the back of the floor to hold the mesh in place just in case the old drawing pins choose the journey to break and let the bees out!
    Drawing pins, who constructs mesh floors using drawing pins?

Blog Entries

That's what they supplied to pin the mesh to the wood at the back. Thinking those hooked nails (don't know what they're called) would be much more secure.

Yes, staples, would be better, or even better construction with the mesh sandwiched between two layers of timber which is glued and nailed.

Blog Entries

Brilliant to see you back Ems, and to see that you are getting your bees settled into a new home. Yes, the cheapo drawing pin mesh fixing wasn't such a great idea on those floors, I have a few like that.

I'm in Belfast staying with Jon for a few nights after the UBKA convention. He's sitting opposite me catching up with the sport and the weather on his tablet .

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Good view of the eclipse in Belfast.
    We watched it with welding masks on

Default Review

Interesting reading in Science this week Goulson review - http://www.sciencemag.org/content/347/6229/1255957.full

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Feckless Drone View Post
    Interesting reading in Science this week Goulson review - http://www.sciencemag.org/content/347/6229/1255957.full
    Behind a paywall for those of us not in academic institutions .

I see from the abstract that one thing he's calling for is 'enforcing effective quarantine measures on bee movements'. Amen to that!