Page 230 of 414 FirstFirst ... 130180220228229230231232240280330 ... LastLast
Results 2,291 to 2,300 of 4137

Thread: todays news

Born and raised in Glasgow (Maryhill). But surrounded by all these back As in Moray I'm not sounding so Glaswegian any more?! I can still do a mean ned impression when the moment calls for it though!

Blog Entries

I'll have to do one with my dulcet tones from Belfast.
    Great to see the bees out and about again Gerry.
    I would say a few colonies have started brood rearing now.
    I have noticed a bit of heat in the crown boards.
    The temperature has been rising in the hives at the association apiary which have Arnia monitors inside.

arnia-temperature-autumn.jpg
    Last edited by Jon; 11-02-2015 at 12:40 PM.

Blog Entries

Thought you were from Glasgow, Gerry, yet there was a northern lilt to some of that I thought. Nowt wrong with a guy who picks up something of the local ways. My only foray into Dundonian comes when I'm taking the piss of someone ordering a peh. There tend to be hundreds of them at United matches so I just keep schtum.

At last I have a day with time on my hands back at base and it turns cold, windy and dreary.
    Last edited by gavin; 11-02-2015 at 04:41 PM.

You're probably wise to keep your own counsel at the United matches Gavin. I once took a Scouser to a Celtic match and he insisted on singing very loudly "Matchstalk Cats and Dogs" using the original lyrics - in an ironic way. We almost didn't get out with our lives! (for the uninitiated there's a Celtic song to the same tune with er....different lyrics!).

And Jon get filming and narrating!

Blog Entries

Moved the bees up today despite Gavin's reservations over landrover suspension

That bit went ok apart from screwing my back in but while I was up I had a good look around and there is one hive with clear external signs of Dysentry and a hive with a polycarb board that also has a lot of poo on the top bars and no bees coming to investigate. This is not looking like a good winter so far, all were fine on new years eve when we treated with OA and slapped on some fondant.

Signs of dysentry in two of my hives with bees defecating slightly on the hive fronts. I don't think its too sinister - more likely the bees having to put up with temperature shooting up and down and the bees having to overwinter on pollen rich honey filling the bees with solid material. The fouling was very watery and full of pollen residue. Anyway its too cold still to go into the hives for even a brief look-see.

Quote Originally Posted by drumgerry View Post
    Spent the weekend down in Dumfries-shire being taught II by Michael Collier. Now there's a man with some stories to tell! Brilliant to see and try the whole process from beginning to end. Loads of stuff the Cobey video doesn't even mention. Learned about the limitations of the instrument I bought (Schley with fixed posts) but working with Michael to solve that problem. Going to need to practice lots and lots to get even semi competent.

Brilliant weekend and highly recommended. Michael is a top guy and if you're buying kit get it from him and take advantage of the great advice he'll give you.
    Gerry, how about a progress report, interested in how well you got along doing II after your return from the course.

Ah Pete I decided not to proceed with my II plans. The more I got to know the less approriate it seemed for my circumstances. I had no idea of the time and commitment it requires and my circumstances just aren't suitable for that. Plus I live in an area where natural mating within strain is pretty good as there are few beekeepers and lots of natural obstructions in the form of bloody great mountains. So...I'd have been better thinking about all that before I bought the kit but you live and learn. As it is I've sold it on to a friend of Gavin's who is keen as mustard and who I'm sure will do the subject justice. Thanks for the advice and all the best, Gerry

Good News! <In a James May sort of voice>
    All 14 mine have now been checked - 100% survival, just about the right level of stores left, no evidence of nosema, all looking feisty and pulling in some pollen...

I love this time of year...lots of plans and decisions to be made...

Blog Entries

Seems to have been another good winter for bees. A lot of my nucs are over 4 or 5 frames which is great for this time of year.