Page 224 of 414 FirstFirst ... 124174214222223224225226234274324 ... LastLast
Results 2,231 to 2,240 of 4137

Thread: todays news

Blog Entries

No losses here yet either. Checked a few colonies yesterday and some had quite a drop of mites from Oxalic treatment the week before. One had about 250 mites on the board and that one had MAQS in August.

Quote Originally Posted by prakel View Post
    Later than usual but finally managed to deliver the last of this year's 'winter rent' payments.
    Same here, but I like giving my apiary rents on Christmas eve. Of course I don't mind the cookies and maple syrup and other goodies. Everyone is in a good mood.

Got to say that it was a nice stop off for a Christmas eve, they're a great family and it is without doubt my favourite apiary.

Quote Originally Posted by GRIZZLY View Post
    lured out by the strong sunshine.
    Much like that here this week but without the -4C temps. We did have a frost, the first as far as I can recall since the start of Nov '13, on Monday (in-land, beyond the ridgeway is a very different story of course). Oddly for these parts we haven't yet seen the start of the bitter winds which try so hard to suck the life out of everything.
    Last edited by prakel; 31-12-2014 at 10:20 AM.

Just back from checking the Varroa boards after treatment yesterday. A reassuringly low fall of mites from most colonies suggesting that either the Apiguard worked in September or that they're all busily tucking into sealed brood … even the nucs (which didn't get Apiguard) only have ~25 mites after 24 hours. I'll check again in a few days.

Happy New Year

Blog Entries

Blog Entries

Blog Entries

Done my OA today and tidied up the mess that is my apiary, urban shelter to exposed rural setting, lessons learned. Bricks help a lot.

All hives alive but I think one will be lucky to make it through to spring.

Happy new year everyone.

Well it felt like the house was going to do a Wizard of Oz last night and fly up into the air! We've no power either (at someone else's house just now). A couple of roofs had flown off the hives but none had tipped over. The bees on a cursory glance seemed ok. Hopefully power back on and back to normal later today.

Blog Entries

Hope that things are back to normal for you Gerry. Yesterday saw a flurry of activity at the Edinburgh and Midlothian BA apiary after this happened. Read more about it on their new Facebook page. This is it after a rescue operation that even included finding and re-hiving the queen and workers from the most damaged hive.

Last edited by gavin; 10-01-2015 at 08:43 AM.