Page 211 of 414 FirstFirst ... 111161201209210211212213221261311 ... LastLast
Results 2,101 to 2,110 of 4137

Thread: todays news

Blog Entries

I have not tried the MAQS strips. However, many years ago I did experiment using pads soaked in 80% formic acid (from memory that is the working concentration or it could be 60% ) pinned to the back wall of the brood box I found that it killed mites without any problems but it also caused queen problems, the bees simply ball the queen and if she survives then she will be superseded at a time of year when mating is not favourable so the colony ends up with either a damaged queen or an infertile queen. I would now only use formic if the queen was removed to a nuc before treatment and reintroduced - just too much bother for me.

I also know of several in Belfast who are reporting queen losses, I even warned some not to use MAQS but others in the club were saying they had used it with no problems and were encouraged by the "club experts" to use MAQS instead of thymol based treatments. I only know one person that uses electronic OA treatment who swears by it, I am seriously considering making a rig and as someone said the apairy wheel barrow can be used to haul the battery.

I used MAQS earlier this year for the first time on four colonies in one apiary, and had no problems with it. One colony had DWV, it's recovered and is looking good going into autumn. The bees seemed to take it in their stride, with no bearding and no halt in laying. Mine are big boxes, I'm not sure if I'd use two strips in a standard National even with supers on.

Circumstances meant the strips were left the strips in place for more than a week, they'd half-heartedly chewed at them, but it would have taken weeks for them to get rid of the whole strips. When I took them off I put the 8 strips in a plastic box and left it overnight before putting on the compost heap. When I opened the box there was a smell of Formic Acid, but not so powerful as to grab the back of your throat.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by busybeephilip View Post

I also know of several in Belfast who are reporting queen losses,
    I am one of them. Apart from direct losses it seems to induce supersedure.
    Not for the faint hearted of those without a few extra queens.

Blog Entries

Doing a spot of kit cleaning ready to store for winter, one of the local bees came to see what was for scavenging - probably one of Mr Craig's but possibly a bit brightly striped for that?

Thats a Carnie Italian cross with just a hint of Caucasian seasoning Watson
    Now take me to Barker street

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Drone Ranger View Post
    Thats a Carnie Italian cross with just a hint of Caucasian seasoning Watson
    Now take me to Barker street
    Ha Ha, there are a few of these about, she came back with a few of her pals!

You were feeling brave with the close up photography ?

Blog Entries

When's it's just a couple of bees away from the hive, nae bother!

Blog Entries

Mr Kilbarchan's bees? Nah - look like Plan B bees to me, stealing the remnants from your frames ......

(I'm only on the wind-up! Don't know what their bees look like.)

These bees are a bit Buckfasty, no?

G.

Strange honey flow at the moment. I went to rehive one of Jons black queens this afternoon into a full hive and found I couldn't remove the roof and lec on top of the Paynes neuc box. They had filled the cavity totally full with drawn and sealed wild combs. The honey is some really nice heather which must have come from the cliff tops about a mile away. This is the first I have ever had from this area and must be a bonus from the fabulous weather we're experiencing at the moment. Sticky job doing the transfer but avoided stickying up the bees. Her majesty has laid up about 4 frames of sealed brood together with fresh eggs . Lovely docile bees.