Page 181 of 414 FirstFirst ... 81131171179180181182183191231281 ... LastLast
Results 1,801 to 1,810 of 4137

Thread: todays news

Peterborough, and into the flatlands to the north and east ...

Default The bees are flying, the bees are flying ....

Day off today, popped into the garden and found myself surrounded by bees making the best of a mild day.

They're even making use of the wallflowers I planted for them.

David
    Attached Images Attached Images

Been making hives up over the last few days so my tablesaw has been busy... Thought I would try something from the mike Palmer school of thought and today I made a double nuc box for over-wintering.

It takes 5frames each side (rose OSB)

On the edge of a mature pine forest, Kingussie, Inverness-shire

Bees flying at last. Not many but good to se them out for a bit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Heaps of bees out again today. Making my plans for the season ahead now. Saw a bumblebee today and a queen wasp in the garden - firsts for the year.

In non bee related news - last night saw some amazing aurora above our house which complemented a lovely glenlivet 15yo IMG_6986.jpg

Bees out in force today,taking advantage of the warmer spell. I've also made up some of the double side by side neucs a la Mike Palmer with another b.box on top. Each side will take a full hive split into two boxes. These make good cell builders for Q rearing. Missed the Aurora however. Shameful.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by greengumbo View Post

In non bee related news - last night saw some amazing aurora above our house which complemented a lovely glenlivet 15yo IMG_6986.jpg
    brilliant photo GG

Very envious of the aurora GG … no sign of it down here that night. 9 years living in Glasgow and I missed it the one time it appeared there as well. Two trips to Northern Finland, way above the Arctic Circle … snowed all the time I was there

On a brighter note … added pollen to colonies today to get them fired up for the OSR. Just a tablespoonful or so on piece of card laid on the top bars. When I checked 6 hours later all were taking it down, and one had finished it. Despite the temperature being about 7 centigrade all day (and raining) the addition of the pollen appears to have really excited the colonies … those I checked were rushing about under the Perspex crown board when I checked about six hours later.

test-scaled640.jpg
    Last edited by fatshark; 02-03-2014 at 07:23 PM. Reason: A picture is worth a thousand words

Senior Member Mellifera Crofter's Avatar
    Aberdeenshire, on top of a wind-swept and exposed hill.

Lovely aurora photo, Greengumbo. If that was taken about 4 in the morning (was it?), then no wonder I've missed it - and happy bees, Fatshark. Did you harvest the pollen yourself last year?
    Kitta

Can't get near the bees for a while having had a foot operation which keeps me off my feet for a least 6 weeks. My wife has said she is going to take them on and I've had offers of help from our association members - which I intend to accept. The bees are flying when they can but the high winds and heavy showers are starting to hamper development, still I suppose they will come good in the long run.

On the edge of a mature pine forest, Kingussie, Inverness-shire

Quote Originally Posted by GRIZZLY View Post
    Can't get near the bees for a while having had a foot operation which keeps me off my feet for a least 6 weeks. My wife has said she is going to take them on and I've had offers of help from our association members - which I intend to accept. The bees are flying when they can but the high winds and heavy showers are starting to hamper development, still I suppose they will come good in the long run.
    Good luck with the op Grizzly. Fraser had his ankle fused last winter and was also off his feet for 6 weeks. He was also not meant to lift anything heavy for several months so bear that in mind. It's been worth it - you could see how lame he still was when we were on Colonsay but although it's taken a good year since the op he is now much improved and at last totally off the painkillers which he has been on for years. We skied about 3 weeks ago - his surgeon said he wouldn't ski again so we were very chuffed with that. Worth all the aggro if you get a good result.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk