Page 153 of 414 FirstFirst ... 53103143151152153154155163203253 ... LastLast
Results 1,521 to 1,530 of 4137

Thread: todays news

Blog Entries

Quick question - I read on a social networking site, a post from a well known field centre - not far from Inverness [ we all know the one ] that a swarm had been found from their hive, caught and hived. The reason for the swarm was stated as being due to the hot weather. This is not something I have heard of before, so is there any evidence that bees will swarm if it is too hot, or is it just down to the well known reasons - given that some of them are still behind due to the cold spring ?

Blog Entries

An experienced local beekeeper was telling me that he'd had a few colonies - on different sites - disappear with the queen. He thought that it was hot weather-induced absconding.

Default Re: todays news

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    That one could be laying already as I have a load from the same batch started laying.
    Got a call this morning from my dad saying that the queen was out front of nuc and flying around intermittently. He was worried that there was something wrong. I had to tell him the good news about orientation flights and the mating that will soon take place!

Blog Entries

Orientation flights can take place early but the mating flights always seem to take place between 12.30 and about 5.30pm

Default Re: todays news

Blog Entries

What time was your pic taken?
    That looks like the little cluster you get with the queen when she is on her mating flight and has a mating swarm with her.

Sometimes the queen lands short and you find a little cluster like this on a fencepost or stuck in a bush somewhere.
    I bet you a fiver there are eggs in there by Wednesday!

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    What time was your pic taken?
    That looks like the little cluster you get with the queen when she is on her mating flight and has a mating swarm with her.

Sometimes the queen lands short and you find a little cluster like this on a fencepost or stuck in a bush somewhere.
    I bet you a fiver there are eggs in there by Wednesday!
    I was in work and my brother sent me a pic at 1pm of her and a few workers at the entrance, then about half one he sent me that pic with the cluster
    I'm hoping there are eggs by wednesday, I'd pay a fiver for them!!

Blog Entries

1.30pm and photographic evidence of what you often see after a mating flight.
    Odds on for eggs on Wednesday.
    I have rescued several little clusters like this and I always see eggs 2 days later.

That's a great picture as most beekeepers will never have seen that.

Just sitting here twiddling my thumbs at this minute. waiting for my 6 week movement ban to be lifted. Just to rub salt into the wound , Thornes just sent me my cut-comb containers. Misery - as I can't take advantage of the best clover bloom for years, Just have to make do with comb honey when I can get my equipment into my out apiaries.

Aha! on another thread I have just been mumbling about cut comb and sections etc
    Have you tried any of those section things square or round
    Sorry about your standstill --its lashing rain half the time anyway
    I can't tell you how amazed I am someone can spot 1 dodgy cell in a hive heaving with bees
    I have just been fishing a virgin queen out of a queen raiser (hair roller)
    Needless to say no smoke 2 stings on finger filling apidea and my guitar lesson at 7.00pm hey ho!