Page 103 of 414 FirstFirst ... 35393101102103104105113153203 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,030 of 4137

Thread: todays news

Blog Entries

Not sure if they're strong enough yet to cope with a shook swarm, they're a week away from 5-6 frames of brood emerging based on the only inspection I've managed so far. I'm can't do anything before friday but I've plenty of spare kit ready and made up and there is also a chance that it might not be my hive that has the problem, either way we need to sort it out before it does become a wider problem. It'll be two weeks since the last inspection and there was no sign at all of any problem in the hive, they were building up nicely, had plenty of brood, a flow was just starting and they were the bright spot in a miserable day of beekeeping (it's the hive in the photos I posted the other week).

None of the hives I cleared away showed any signs of robbing though one of them was packed with (open) stores, though if other hives close by have had siimilar problems I guess it's possible they might have robbed a neighbouring hive and bought it in?

I have split hives too early in the past years and lost both halves
    It's a tough call
    Let's hope for a warm spell and a nectar flow

If the hive is building up well that doesn't tie in with them having serious nosema infection so they may well ride it out
    Last edited by The Drone Ranger; 02-05-2013 at 02:01 PM.

Just wandered down to the field to put another half litre of thin syrup onto the Bailey comb changes. Stunning evening, warm at last, not a breath of wind ... bees still active, with overloaded foragers crashing into the landing board.

At last

Blog Entries

I had bees going mad on the dandelions yesterday - sunny but coldish wind. Today is so cold I didn't even bother moving the plants I'm hardening off out of the greenhouse ... and chucking it down. Still, the bees have something to keep them occupied after a good day's foraging yesterday. Still haven't done a full spring inspection - just glanced at 3 colonies last week.

Blog Entries

Same here Trog. Forecast not looking good for the next couple of days either - just itching to get a good look and my first inspection done - peace of mind is a wonderful thing !!

On the edge of a mature pine forest, Kingussie, Inverness-shire

Default todays news

Quote Originally Posted by marion.orca View Post
    Same here Trog. Forecast not looking good for the next couple of days either - just itching to get a good look and my first inspection done - peace of mind is a wonderful thing !!
    Same here - still no first inspection done and it's blowing a gale, rain forecast and temps of about 9 degrees. Have not seen them out since Monday. Makes me even more determined to get a bee house built this summer. I have been promised, most of the wood is here but HWMBO still on crutches after an ankle fusion op. Plus he has plans to build himself a pizza oven!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Senior Member Mellifera Crofter's Avatar
    Aberdeenshire, on top of a wind-swept and exposed hill.

Quote Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
    ... Have not seen them out since Monday. Makes me even more determined to get a bee house built this summer. ...
    I wanted a bee house when I first started with bees, particularly because I live on such an exposed site. It may allow you time to inspect the hives when the weather is bad - but are you going to keep your colonies limited to just the few colonies that would fit inside the bee house with enough space for artificial swarms when necessary? This is my second year of moving my colonies in spring. Yesterday I took five hives to a sheltered place by OSR fields - but same here: I haven't yet had a peek inside (apart from two hives).
    Kitta

I want a bee house
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObfKiuMm_wY
    I love this chaps videos very amusing but not very PC

Quote Originally Posted by The Drone Ranger View Post
    I want a bee house
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObfKiuMm_wY
    I love this chaps videos very amusing but not very PC
    Sorry DR but the page refuses to come up

Quote Originally Posted by GRIZZLY View Post
    Sorry DR but the page refuses to come up

Works with me: Chrome/W7