Page 100 of 414 FirstFirst ... 50909899100101102110150200 ... LastLast
Results 991 to 1,000 of 4137

Thread: todays news

Blog Entries

And just to try and get a picture or two

For a pic taken on the phone I'm actually quite pleased with this one, an hour or so after moving the hive a couple of feet and finally getting it onto a higher stand as I think they get a bit damp on the pallet where they are.

@Neils; a very uniform looking gang of bees.

Quote Originally Posted by gavin View Post
    I believe it to be a cas chrom, (our) gaelic word for a foot plough, narrower than a spade.
    Still off topic - known as a "loy" in Ireland from gaelic "láighe". Chrom element in Scottish gaelic name would describe the handle - crom = twisted or bent. Go here to see one in use http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=za3HAjcLpHU

Finno

At last managed to properly get a look at my colonies this afternoon. Bit of a mixed bag really. 9 colonies ranging from little to no brood to 4 frames of brood. Pollen sources available round here practically non-existent yet which might explain the very limited brood rearing. You get the feeling things will kick off big time once Spring properly starts. On a plus note saw a single willow catkin laden with yellow pollen this afternoon.

Default todays news

More vandalism!
    Hopefully they got their just desserts!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...0-insects.html
    WW

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Senior Member Mellifera Crofter's Avatar
    Aberdeenshire, on top of a wind-swept and exposed hill.

Quote Originally Posted by Finno View Post
    Still off topic - known as a "loy" in Ireland from gaelic "láighe". Chrom element in Scottish gaelic name would describe the handle - crom = twisted or bent. Go here to see one in use http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=za3HAjcLpHU

Finno
    Do you know if anybody still makes, and sells, loy spades, Finno?
    Kitta

Quote Originally Posted by Finno View Post

Finno
    Would it be accurate to say that use of the loy was confined to the western part of Shamrockshire and elsewhere the spade was used? I never even heard of of one until I read Synges "Playboy of the Western World". Thanks for the link, it was an interesting video to watch.

ion.ie/contact/contact.html[/URL]
    Quote Originally Posted by Mellifera Crofter View Post
    Do you know if anybody still makes, and sells, loy spades, Finno?
    Kitta
    You might like to contact some of these people, they probably could advise.....http://www.loyassociation.ie/contact/contact.html

Finno

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Bee View Post
    Would it be accurate to say that use of the loy was confined to the western part of Shamrockshire and elsewhere the spade was used? I never even heard of of one until I read Synges "Playboy of the Western World". Thanks for the link, it was an interesting video to watch.
    Was especially used on hilly land and on heavy soils where horse drawn plough could not be used. Heavy drop forged spade of similar shape was used until very recent times - the back of the implement provides powerful leverage. A marvelous implement if one if breaking new ground for cultivation on ridges or "lazy beds" in the garden. Ridges are very suitable method of cultivation on heavy wet soils. Modern spades for use in suburban flower beds are absolutely useless. Hard work - probably the guy who first called them "lazy beds" sat on horseback and never turned a sod in his life!.

Finno

Lots of preparing ground and sowing of wheat in the fields around me this week.

Swallows back and checking out the woodshed

Getting bees in mid-may ! I have my combs from last years hive that have capped honey and a bit of uncapped - they and the hive have been acetic acid fumigated. Should I just chuck em out or re-use ? Prob not worth the risk I thought.