Page 380 of 414 FirstFirst ... 280330370378379380381382390 ... LastLast
Results 3,791 to 3,800 of 4137

Thread: todays news

Quote Originally Posted by madasafish View Post
    I used to suffer from sciatica - first time I cried like a child... I now do yoga exercises for my back 5 days a week- 20 mins/day..And no longer suffer from sciatica. But it has taken a year to achieve that. (Beekeeping for the past three years was often done in considerable pain and painkillers appear to not work well on back issues)
    Snap with the sciatica, I slipped a disk a year ago last October and have been doing physio ever since. I'm looking at a kaptarlift to take some of the strain but cant seem to divert enough funds to invest in one at the moment, bloody children keep eating and growing our of clothes.

I can recommend them, they make lifting hives a breeze. My only regret was not affording the electric one, apart from being even more easy to use it has a wider wheel base making it more stable on rough ground. But minor point really.

Blog Entries

Two summers ago I had the agony of sciatica, back and hip right down the leg to the foot. Walking sticks, two-hourly alternating paracetamol and ibuprofen didn't help much, awful it was. I refuse to take cocodemol after previous experience, the constipation was worse than the pain. Tears were shed. It took about 6 months to depart. The lovely Mhairi recommended the McKenzie book which did help.

https://www.worldofbooks.com/treat-y...002822168.html

There are times when I suspect back strain coming on, perhaps bending over doing inspections, and then I do the arch backwards stance, even while inspecting frames. It may be an odd sight but usually no-one is watching. Worst times are heavy lifting when I'm out of practice. A few tips that help me:

- watch your posture when sitting
    - watch your posture while driving (tuck the small of your back forwards, use traffic lights/roundabouts as reminders)
    - use a padded thing in the small of your back (rolled up old fleece for me when I'm driving)
    - all the usual straight-back, bent knee lifts wherever possible
    - do that arching back when you feel a strain coming on

I try to minimise apiaries with pallets as hive stands. Something a bit higher is much kinder on the back. Usually three pillars each of two concrete blocks, bottom one flat, upper on its side. Then two 2.4m lengths of 4x2 timber to take three hives. Treated timber slows any rotting and keeps the slugs off. You need to ensure they are level and as nothing is stuck together they are easily disassembled and shifted.

Minimise the number of Demarees, a top brood box full of stores is a killer.

As I don't have a Kaptarlift (yet!), I put an empty brood box on my sack barrow so that I just swivel to shift hives or boxes off the stand and off the sack barrow into the truck. Can't afford an army of sturdy East European and Australasian gentlemen and women.

Interesting comments on the Kaptarlift. I can see I'll have to start saving.

I have most of my hives on pallets and inspect them kneeling which is quite kind on the back, I have knee pads from the builders merchants to stop my knees getting damp or sore.
    McKenzie exercises are at the core of the physiotherapy exercises I do with some back strengthening sets thrown in two or three times a week when I remember. A slipped disk and sciatica ate an absolute bugger and once you've been there you don't want to go back.

Quote Originally Posted by gavin View Post
    the constipation was worse than the pain. .

Too much information Gavin!

My 'twang' moment was when I lifted a double brood box from the back of a pick-up and down to the floor. Lifting was OK. Lowering was not.

I find that pallets rot too easily or bend dangerously when the hive gets heavy in summer, so colonies at my out-apiary are on paving slabs with a house brick under the 4 corners of each hive to lift them off by a few inches. Maybe not quite enough ventillation as I would like, but at least they are off damp ground.
    Kneeling works well with the right hive - I recall seeing a beesuit with built-in knee-pads but not sure where.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post
    I recall seeing a beesuit with built-in knee-pads but not sure where.
    Mine has them at the knees though the legs are too long so they act as shin pads.

This is a cheaper d.i.y. model, though the hive boxes need strong 'strip' handles for the supports

http://apiculturegatineau.fr/photo_9.html

I've mentioned before that I 'did' my back several years ago and, as a result, took to beekeeping on my knees wherever the site allows; a useful tip gleaned from Steve Taber's writings. I was probably lucky because my other life long hobby has encouraged me to do a lot of flexibility AND mobility work.

Another good source of assistance is the Feldenkrais Method if you can find a local teacher.

Went to check some nucs with fondant on before the cold weather fully gets here. The nucs are at the office in Gt Yarmouth and only a short distance from open marshes to the North. Noticed a ventillation hole in the back of one nuc I had sorta forgotten about so gaffa taped it up to stop the draught. It is already bitterly cold outside though with wind coming off the N Sea. Roll on Spring!

On the edge of a mature pine forest, Kingussie, Inverness-shire

Today I’m doing association accounts for the AGM. Could someone remind me to do Quarterly reconciliations . Oh and get everyone to pay by bank transfer or cheque. Bloomin cash reconciliation doing my head in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro