Page 403 of 414 FirstFirst ... 303353393401402403404405413 ... LastLast
Results 4,021 to 4,030 of 4137

Thread: todays news

Quote Originally Posted by Mellifera Crofter View Post
    Three or four castors, Fatshark?

Somebody told me some years ago an extractor needs three castors (or ballbearings) - like washing machines.

I fixed mine to an old dolly I had with two swivel castors and two fixed ones. I thought that probably works a bit like having only three castors (?). It’s now working a lot better than when I had it fixed to the pallet on which it arrived. Then I could hardly set it higher than 7 or it would hop around frighteningly. Now a 10 is easy.
    I have three legged extractor with castors... it does hardly vibrate...(I ignore the spelling politzei :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Mellifera Crofter View Post
    I see, Fatshark - it can be either (but I prefer 'castor'). I've even found a new definition: the pelt of a beaver, or medicine made from a beaver's perineal sacs; and a hat made from beaver fur.

As for 'caster' also being a small maggot ... I shouldn't want to literally translate my own surname with that: a pot maggot (a foundryman, I think - somebody who casts pots).
    Kitta
    Being associated with the drinks industry we get booze related notices sometimes.....your reply reminded me of this !

http://tamworthdistilling.com/spirit...h-eau-de-musc/

Charming!

I'm "associated with the drinks industry" .... but only on Friday and Saturday nights ... hic!

What a filthy afternoon. Raining hard in St Andrews and a few peals of thunder. I have 14 wet supers to return to colonies and I've forgotten my welly boots. D'oh!

Default losses in the USA

An article in the American Bee Journal is quoting colony losses in the USA at around 40% in the last year.

https://mailchi.mp/dadant.com/abj-ex...-the-last-year

Lovely day here yesterday, some nectar finally visible in hives and the queen I've got in an Apidea had the mating sign visible - a first for me!

Quote Originally Posted by RDMW View Post
    I’m having real trouble with queen rearing this year.
    None of my spilts has produced a mated queen after two months and even a swarm I collected three weeks ago has no eggs. I’m down to three queens and no queen cells in any of my queen right colonies. That will larn me for selling a nuc last autumn and a colony this spring! I’m blaming the weather but maybe it is the beekeeper!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Hopefully your queens will all come good in a rush and your nerves will be calmed!

Hurrah. All three of my hives I had given up on have laying queens!! One was from a split I did in that last week of April.

Orkney (it’s usually cool and windy but somehow the bees survive!)

Hi RDMW
    Did the queen in the nuc that you thought had laying workers come good in the end or did the bees replace her. I’ve only managed two splits so far due to the weather and colony strengths. It could be August before the queens are mated and laying. I’m off to try a few more splits today in our cool windy weather.
    Last edited by lindsay s; 30-06-2019 at 12:44 PM.

Hello Lindsay
    I ended up shaking out the laying worker nuc and most of the workers found homes in other hives. I was not sure what else to do. It was definitely a laying worker. Lots of drone brood in random pattern. And several eggs per cell on the walls.

Blog Entries

Looking good at the moment.

Of the Four Nucs bought in, the first of the combined brood Nationals (came in on nationals, want half on 14x12 so split half the nucs by transferring the brood into the other) is drawing comb in supers and packing in the nectar. the later Colony is thinking about it but is three weeks behind brood wise. Might be getting ahead of myself, but I like to start them out on Standard spacing and move to wide spacing as the comb gets drawn and the super filled, so contemplating getting another super + frames out of storage to start moving things around.

The 14x12 Nucs where I used one frame of brood + queen are now coming along nicely. Don't think they'll get into full sized hives this year, but they're strong enough, drawing comb nicely, building up and also packing in the stores.