Page 394 of 414 FirstFirst ... 294344384392393394395396404 ... LastLast
Results 3,931 to 3,940 of 4137

Thread: todays news

Quote Originally Posted by lindsay s View Post
    Some of my weaker colonies with old queens and in a poor area produced very little honey, but 3 colonies that had been split at my clover site still managed to produce about 65-75lbs each. Overall above average crops here this season.
    Something I noticed this year in particular was the fact that 2016 queens ramped up brood-rearing slowly and produced a much lower crop compared to 2017 queens. My guess is that the late spring was to blame. However the crop in general was excellent for me this year. It's a shame there is no clover to speak of around me so there's a dearth until Ivy comes to the rescue.

One swarm from 11 full-sized colonies. 800kg.
    Last edited by Adam; 13-12-2018 at 08:31 PM.

Recent publication in Proc. Natl. Acad Sci. on Varroa's food source. In the abstract - Via transmission electron microscopy, we observed externally digested fat body tissue in the wounds of parasitized bees. Mites in their reproductive phase were then fed a diet composed of one or both tissues. Mites fed hemolymph showed fitness metrics no different from the starved control. Mites fed fat body survived longer and produced more eggs than those fed hemolymph, suggesting that fat body is integral to their diet when feeding on brood as well.

The investigators used stains to follow the different tissue - would have been interesting to use a mass spec approach perhaps on in vitro raised mites to prove/confirm what is being taken up. Why would a parasite pass up the opportunity to acquire nutrients from both fat and hemolymph?

Quote Originally Posted by Feckless Drone View Post

The investigators used stains to follow the different tissue - would have been interesting to use a mass spec approach perhaps on in vitro raised mites to prove/confirm what is being taken up. Why would a parasite pass up the opportunity to acquire nutrients from both fat and hemolymph?
    Quite.

Pretty pictures though !

this started the day as waste wood in a skip and an offcut of mesh left from another project; add a tenon saw, set square, chisel, handful of nails, some glue and 30 minutes (so far, still needs sealing).
    SAM_5784 (2).jpg

Senior Member Mellifera Crofter's Avatar
    Aberdeenshire, on top of a wind-swept and exposed hill.

That’s quick work, Prakel - and a good-looking feeder.

Will you just varnish the inside for sealing, or also add some silicon to the joints?

Kitta

Quote Originally Posted by Mellifera Crofter View Post
    That’s quick work, Prakel - and a good-looking feeder.

Will you just varnish the inside for sealing, or also add some silicon to the joints?

Kitta
    Just varnish Kitta, the joints are already assembled with a good quality glue and I have (hopefully not misplaced) confidence in my work... Did a second one before 9am today so it was a worthwhile salvage.
    Last edited by prakel; 21-03-2019 at 06:22 PM.

I found this little bee on the side of one of my hives yesterday. I thought it looked as though it is suffering from DWV - or is it just an old bee with tattered wings?
    Kitta
    fullsizeoutput_267.jpg

It hardly looks like a honey bee and it doesn't look like it could fly - so it must have got there on foot?

Yes, it's not a honey bee! I don't know what it is - some sort of Andrena? I saw a large colony of these bees last summer using road drainage pipes as their nesting sites not far from my out apiary. It would be sad if they also suffer DWV.
    Kitta

Looks like Andrena Scotica, a very common spring mining bee in Scotland. https://www.flickr.com/photos/630752...7640800969414/

Quote Originally Posted by Mellifera Crofter View Post
    Yes, it's not a honey bee! I don't know what it is - some sort of Andrena? I saw a large colony of these bees last summer using road drainage pipes as their nesting sites not far from my out apiary. It would be sad if they also suffer DWV.
    Kitta