Page 346 of 414 FirstFirst ... 246296336344345346347348356396 ... LastLast
Results 3,451 to 3,460 of 4137

Thread: todays news

Default Dave Coulson talk Dundee

Next Tuesday in Dundee, a talk that might be of interest. If you do go give yourself time cause parking can be an issue.

Saving our Bumblebees

Start: 31 Jan 4:00PM End: 31 Jan 5:00PM
    Cost: Free Organiser: CECHR

Bumblebees are amongst the most important of wild pollinators; many wildflowers would not set seed without them, and they are the main pollinators of crops such as tomatoes, blueberries and raspberries. Concerningly, many bumblebees are in decline, with 3 species now extinct in the UK and the first global extinction recently occurring in USA.

Dave Goulson, Professor Of Biology (Evolution, Behaviour and Environment) at the University of Sussex, will discuss the drivers of these declines, and the many things we can all do to halt and reverse them, at the Biochemical Society sponsored lecture.

Dave has published over 200 scientific articles on the ecology of bees and other insects, and is author of 'Bumblebees; their behaviour, ecology and conservation' (2010, Oxford University Press) and 'A Sting in the Tale' (2013, Jonathan Cape), a popular science book about bumblebees.

He is a Fellow of the Royal Entomological Society, and a Fellow of the Royal Society of Edinburgh.

In 2010 he was BBSRC "Social Innovator of the Year" and in 2013 he won the Marsh Award for Conservation Biology from the Zoological Society of London.

The lecture will be followed by a drinks reception from 5-6pm, giving the opportunity to meet with Dave in a more informal setting.

Quote Originally Posted by Feckless Drone View Post
    Next Tuesday in Dundee, a talk that might be of interest. If you do go give yourself time cause parking can be an issue.

Saving our Bumblebees

Start: 31 Jan 4:00PM End: 31 Jan 5:00PM
    Cost: Free Organiser: CECHR

Bumblebees are amongst the most important of wild pollinators; many wildflowers would not set seed without them, and they are the main pollinators of crops such as tomatoes, blueberries and raspberries. Concerningly, many bumblebees are in decline, with 3 species now extinct in the UK and the first global extinction recently occurring in USA.

Dave Goulson, Professor Of Biology (Evolution, Behaviour and Environment) at the University of Sussex, will discuss the drivers of these declines, and the many things we can all do to halt and reverse them, at the Biochemical Society sponsored lecture.

Dave has published over 200 scientific articles on the ecology of bees and other insects, and is author of 'Bumblebees; their behaviour, ecology and conservation' (2010, Oxford University Press) and 'A Sting in the Tale' (2013, Jonathan Cape), a popular science book about bumblebees.

He is a Fellow of the Royal Entomological Society, and a Fellow of the Royal Society of Edinburgh.

In 2010 he was BBSRC "Social Innovator of the Year" and in 2013 he won the Marsh Award for Conservation Biology from the Zoological Society of London.

The lecture will be followed by a drinks reception from 5-6pm, giving the opportunity to meet with Dave in a more informal setting.
    Nice ! I might well try to get down for this.

His books are beautifully written...even if I'm not on board with all the conclusions. Great speaker as well.

Scotland's new Native Honey Bee Society's start-up meeting 1st April .... not an April fool but an April fun, action-packed event!

Hope to see lots of you there ... see http://www.snhbs.cot

xfinger-banner-7660-2.jpg.pagespeed.ic.qIDyd-eMe_.jpg

Senior Member Mellifera Crofter's Avatar
    Aberdeenshire, on top of a wind-swept and exposed hill.

You dropped the 's', Kate. It's http://www.snhbs.scot .
    Kitta

Blog Entries

Good luck with the project.

Very interested in the snhbs . Don't think I will make the Perth meeting but will join the society
    Greatly enjoyed Andrews course on colonsay last year and would like to breed amm here in Ullapool if possible
    Was just looking at Dave cushmans page on morphometry which looks very complex. Does anyone know if it is possible to have morphometry done on your bees as a commercial service?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hi RDMW

The snhbs is currently discussing a membership rate only if you can't attend the start up meeting on the 1st April in Perth
    I do wing morphometry on a regular basis and can offer to check your colonies for free if you join the snhbs
    I expect one of the training courses that snhbs could offer in the future is in wing morphometry if the members who go to the inaugural meeting think there is a need for such a course

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Orkney (it’s usually cool and windy but somehow the bees survive!)

Last year's Birthday cake. Made by a friend of a friend, it made my day.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries

Are they Scotland's new Native Honey Bee I was wondering what they looked like

I think they are a bit too yellow for our native dark bee, however I am will to give them try!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk