Page 354 of 414 FirstFirst ... 254304344352353354355356364404 ... LastLast
Results 3,531 to 3,540 of 4137

Thread: todays news

Quote Originally Posted by Poly Hive View Post
    OSR here looking very bare now and with the deluge we have just had no doubt even barer. 1.4mm in ten minutes, it was literally bouncing.

2nd sups on some and 2nd BB and first sup on a ex nuc which is building up very nicely now using an Amm Q from Greece of all places. And before anyone kicks off you tell me first where to source them in Scotland?

On that note what is happening with the new society? Gone utterly silent it seems. I do hope it's not a fur coat and no knickers jobby?

PH
    It's a secret society

Sent from my LIFETAB_S1034X using Tapatalk

All busy producing Amm queens at the moment perhaps?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

now using an Amm Q from Greece of all places. And before anyone kicks off you tell me first where to source them in Scotland?

PH
    You want the moon on a stick handed on a plate for you! The onus is on you to ask not for anyone to tell you.
    Try asking politely in the right places and don't expect to pay by PayPal on a slick website from Greece and you might get somewhere.

OSR here looking very bare now and with the deluge we have just had no doubt even barer. 1.4mm in ten minutes, it was literally bouncing.

2nd sups on some and 2nd BB and first sup on a ex nuc which is building up very nicely now using an Amm Q from Greece of all places. And before anyone kicks off you tell me first where to source them in Scotland?

On that note what is happening with the new society? Gone utterly silent it seems. I do hope it's not a fur coat and no knickers jobby?

PH
    Its been busy behind the scenes PH ! Most of the new committee are pretty committed beekeepers so the planned newsletter etc taking a bit longer than hoped. Watch this space very soon though

Sourcing native queens is a priority but one which might take a while.

You are right GG a lot been happening behind the scenes. In Speyside we are busy assessing the best breeder queens. Working out a plan of action and about to start our first round of graphs tomorrow. I also had news that some beekeeper in Helensburgh have already produced 10 local nucs last week from some good Amm and near Amm stocks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

now using an Amm Q from Greece of all places. And before anyone kicks off you tell me first where to source them in Scotland?
    Good French genetics crossed with cecropia?

About getting a Scottish queen - Have you asked Andrew to go on his list for queens? There are ways to get a Scottish queen PH but you have to ask around. This afternoon I grafted 20 larvae from one of Jimbo's Rosneath AMMs (now resident in Speyside) and they're now in my cell raiser. This is my way to go about it. Plus I'm on Andrew's list for a Colonsay queen. Just because they're not a click or two away on the internet doesn't mean they can't be got. Is there no-one in the Borders you can work with to improve things?

Quote Originally Posted by greengumbo View Post
    3 weeks till end of OSR I reckon and a good week forecast. Swung past another apiary on the way home and they were piling in. Great sight to see
    I nearly ruptured myself turning hives round this evening that I'm doing splits on ... this time last week supers were echoing cathedrals of emptiness, now they're filling fast

I have 11 queen cells in a cup kit from a queen that was from a AMM breeding program in Gairloch. Obviously they will be mongrelised (is that a word?) but am hoping for some fine queens. I plan to send a sample of bees from the hive for analysis.
    Quite please with my first attempt at queen raising. Hair rollers on tomorrow!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by mbc View Post
    You want the moon on a stick handed on a plate for you! The onus is on you to ask not for anyone to tell you.
    Try asking politely in the right places and don't expect to pay by PayPal on a slick website from Greece and you might get somewhere.
    Steady mbc
    Got out on the wrong side of the bed lol!

I think there has been hints of big things to come
    I have lots of mininucs at the moment
    Not an AMM queen in sight though all my own trusty local mongrels
    Happy days

Sent from my LIFETAB_S1034X using Tapatalk