Page 1 of 414 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: todays news

Default todays news

Bees have been very active today,bringing in loads of pollen mostly from the Whins which are now coming into flower although we've got very prolific Snowdrops and a few Crocus.All colonies seem to have wintered well so far but I must keep an eye on their stores and supplement if necessary.

Hi Grizzly
    As said when we met last year- You are in a veritable honey bee paradise. Watch out for Calum!

Grizzly wrote:
    I must keep an eye on their stores and supplement if necessary.

Eric

Blog Entries

Yup Grzzly keep one eye fixed on their wieght.
    If it stays warm and they have a good pollen flow they will build up quickly and burn through their stores at a fair old rate.

All mine were out in force over the weekend, but since then we have hardly been above 5°C.
    The ten frame colonies were all nice and heavy, so I'll let them get on with it.

Eric is only miffed that I pulled two studies out that have proven that feeding colonies that are in no need of it does nothing positive for them, infact in one study they faired less well.

But I would never advise against not feeding starving bees!

Hi Calum
    Don't I get to make jokes too?

Eric

Blog Entries

only if you get written permission!

Nothing but heavy rain today with very cold strong winds.Bees gone back to bed.Temp to go up later on in the week but heavy rain forcast again.Brrrr. El Paradiso is struggling at the moment Eric!!!--you'll have to stop doing your rain dance.

Blog Entries

We had a beautiful spring day yesterday. It was the first one of the new year when I wasn't at work, it was 6 degrees and it was dry & not too windy. I enjoyed watching the bees hover in front of the hives, some were bringing in small amounts of orange pollen and even my stroppy hive were oblivious to me slightly raising 1 frame in the top box to see how far up they were.

Then today we had a lot of snow throughout the morning which was washed away by the rain which followed...and cold too

Blog Entries

10 cm snow today here too. Pity the hazel was giving great pollen snowdrops and crocous too.

Gone warm again 2day. Bees pouring in and out loaded with pollen.Seem very strong.

Blog Entries

My lot were all flying early in the morning but the rain soon put paid to the party. I'm hoping they'll get out to the snowdrops tomorrow. Frogs were hard at it in the ponds, though. Looks like a population explosion is on the cards for this year!